Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ER11 adaptor. Seeking user experiences

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I have never had a problem with bits being too short. The ER11M adapter adds another 1/2" below the CT and so, even though some bits are shorter, it is not a problem. The ER11M just makes it to the board so even the shortest bits work.

What I would recommend, is two flute bits. They give more chip clearance and only give the "shrill" when they are dull. Three and four flute bits seem to shrill all the time. I believe this is because each cutting edge is not given enough wood to cut and the cutting edges alternate between rubbing and cutting.

It is hard to recommend a supplier. They are moving targets. By the time I use all 10 of the bits I bought, the product or supplier may have changed. For the 1/8" cutting bits, I buy ones with around 1/2" , 3/4", and 1" length of cuts (LOC).

Another thing that one can do with the ER11M, is use bits with 6 mm shanks. There are many carving bits from China with 6 mm shanks.
    I believe the 6mm adaptor is not included in the kit. Will the 1/4 inch adaptor work with 6mm? I see you specifically say ER11M, I take it the M is for metric. is that available separately?

I get that no bit is too short, that's great. Any chance of buying bits that are too long?

Sorry to be such a pest with details. I just would like to be safe and not get stuff that won't work

BTW, I'm already convinced and have ordered the adaptor in eBay.

Thanks a lot.

...Peter

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I highly recommend the ER11 adaptor. Dan did a great job on making these available. Ditto his advice on two-flute bits, especially with the more common 30 degree helix angle. I had terrible burning problems when LHR changed the design of their 1/8" cutting bits: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...eating-problem. While they sorted out the problem, I was able to switch to a two-flute bit in the ER11 adapter and stay in business.
    Thanks for the information DickB. I am sold. I remember reading the about the problem with the new LHR 1/8 bits.

I certainly didn't know about that 2 flute was better than 4 flute and also the helix angle.

...Peter

The M is for "mini nut". The ER11A has a larger hex nut while the ER11M has the smaller castle like nut. The threads are also finer on the M.

The 1/4" collet will hold a 6 mm (0.236") shank. I also have metric collets. (It is nice when the collet just fits.)

I do not think a bit could be too long. The shank can just go further up into the chuck.

I got two of the ER11 and use them on almost every project. There are many did including Amazon that sell bits at any price range. It just takes time to sort through them all. There are also lots of links in posts on the forum of stuff folks here have tried that are very helpful. Now it doesn't feel nearly as bad when I make a mistake and snap off a bit since its easy to keep a while bunch of backups on hand. I have 1.187 still and have not run into any issues with bit length at all so far. It was as good a purchase as my upgrade to the CT chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The M is for "mini nut". The ER11A has a larger hex nut while the ER11M has the smaller castle like nut. The threads are also finer on the M.

The 1/4" collet will hold a 6 mm (0.236") shank. I also have metric collets. (It is nice when the collet just fits.)

I do not think a bit could be too long. The shank can just go further up into the chuck.
    Great to know. Mine already shipped, now the wait till it gets here

Quote Originally Posted by FWMiller View Post
    I got two of the ER11 and use them on almost every project. There are many did including Amazon that sell bits at any price range. It just takes time to sort through them all. There are also lots of links in posts on the forum of stuff folks here have tried that are very helpful. Now it doesn't feel nearly as bad when I make a mistake and snap off a bit since its easy to keep a while bunch of backups on hand. I have 1.187 still and have not run into any issues with bit length at all so far. It was as good a purchase as my upgrade to the CT chuck.
    Thanks for your insight. I'm looking forward to using mine when it arrives. Bergerud suggested a few websites to look for bits, so I'll do that and have some on hand for when the ER11 gets here.

...Peter

Hey Dan bergerud any chance that you can contact the supplier for the ER11 adapters to make up some more?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

That looks like the one. Only thing missing is the bit collets but one can get those separate.. Thanks for the link. I will update the FB page post about this..

Is this the one you are using?

RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast