Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routing

Default Routing

I don't know what is going on. I am attempting to edge rout a board. Have done a few so far without issues. But now when I attempt to do it, it passes through the machine the first time (takes very little off), then when it is feeding the board back through for the second pass it gets to a point where is starts moving the board forward and then back about 1/2", and it keeps doing this, and keeps going faster and faster, just back and forth, back and forth, until the belt stops moving.
    If I hit stop then hit the resume it feeds the board through about three inches, then starts doing it again, but now if you hit the stop button it doesn't stop doing it. I have to turn the power button off.
    Any ideas what is going on?
    I have already tried a different board and get the same results.

Check xdrive gears?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I used to have the same problem occur during board measurement. I recall someone from LHR saying that it was due to too much x drive backlash. Gears too "loose". (It seems to me to be a feedback problem where the computer tries to get the x encoder data to agree with the brass roller data.) I have not had the problem for a long time but I have since installed rubber belts and new x gears.

I tested the x drive. It gave me some numbers but I don't have a clue if that means they are normal or not. It didn't seem to have any problems doing the test. The numbers were A= 111.22 M=191.40

Another thought on the back and fourth thing... In my pinion it can also be the board loosing contact with the brass roller.... so I would put masking tape on the bottom of the board along the brass roller track. I believe the problem is you are doing a task that at some point the board is only being held to the belts with one roller letting the board tip up and away from the brass roller.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I'm at my wits end here. I have been reading the manual. I have been searching this site when something comes up and learning from others. First I got the unit and the head pressure was over 100 pounds. I followed the directions, took off the handle and lubed it. I've had the ever constant check cutting motor error delay that seems to be common. At the moment I can't remember all of the issues I have ran into and had to research how to resolve. With this issue I tried the masking tape. It worked for one board then was right back where I started from, with the back and forth stuff. I let it go and finally it stopped and it gave an x-drive or x-axis or x-something fail. I decided to check my head pressure. 140 pounds. Holy crap! Took off the handle and lubed the clutch like the manual says. Re-assembled, 120 pounds. Took the advice that was on the board and took one of the rings at the end off. 54 pounds. Put the washer ring thing back on and.... I can't get it to go up or down. Yes, the handle is lined up correctly. Yes, I made sure it is fully inserted. I have taken the handle off and put it back on several times, no movement but a nice grinding sound. What is going on here? Did I get a lemon unit and need to return it or what. I checked my odometer, 23 hours. I have the vacuum thing attached. I blow it out with low pressure air. I do all the things that the manual says and I keep getting error after error.

Well, doing edge routing is the most challanging of any operation the machine does... Because the board is being held by one roller.... It is almost like riding a bike with one hand... Sure the manual tells you you can... I bet if you asked others to chime in IF THEY do edge routing with the CW most will respond it was not worth the trouble.

So in MY opinion this really has nothing to do with head pressure and again, this is MY opinion... It is all about the board loosing contact with the brass roller... fussing with the head pressure is like fussing with tire air pressure with one side facing the sun... In my opinion.... I know that many have had head pressure problems but with only 23 cut hours I don't believe it is a issue...

Something as simple as placing the edge guide too close to the plaque or board can cause friction and give you the rocking back and fourth.... I had it myself the other day... And it was caused by ME sliding the guide TOO Close to the board. Moved it and no more rocking, and I did have masking tape on the board.

My suggestion is to get a cheap router table router and let the machine do the things that is does best...

With all that said....

Returning the machine is likely not an option.

It is possible that you have damaged the X Gear Drive. A inspection is on order... Removing the right side cover and removing the RTV that seals the cover and squeezing the cover to dissengage the tab locks and remove it. You may have a damaged gear.... be sure to seal the cover after installing.

Next is inspect the in feed and out feed tables as the board could be running UP on a high table end roller LIFTING the board up off the brass roller.

And blowing the dust away from the brass roller as it builds up between jobs.

My phone number and email are in my website and you can contact me to brainstorm this.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

I agree with Al. 2 things I do not see a need on this machine are edge routing and cut board to size. Both can be done faster and easier with stand alone machines.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carvewright.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	72119
    After talking with Al I looked at my machine for the first time from this angle, and noticed that the side that the keypad is on is actually an inch lower than the other side of the machine. I'm not sure how clearly you can see it in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by artyler View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carvewright.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	72119
    After talking with Al I looked at my machine for the first time from this angle, and noticed that the side that the keypad is on is actually an inch lower than the other side of the machine. I'm not sure how clearly you can see it in the picture.
    Yes, a Head Level Problem..... And since you cannot lower the head at this time... I susspect the Cross Connect under the machine has slipped some teeth....

Power un plugged, remove the bottom of the machine, disconnect the left side cross connect, crank the head level with the hand crank, measure and re engage the cross connect.

Back to carving.... After you inspect the X Gears... Here are some pictures.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05689_WEB.jpg   DSC05664_WEB.jpg   DSC05673_WEB.jpg   DSC05672_WEB.jpg  

DSC05691_WEB.jpg   DSC05774_WEB.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast