Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pattern Sculptor

All the software combined " Everything " is only worth bout $ 400 tops ... It's hobby type stuff and quality ,, and it's for a hobby machine ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Quote Originally Posted by ktjwilliams View Post
    All the software combined " Everything " is only worth bout $ 400 tops ... It's hobby type stuff and quality ,, and it's for a hobby machine ...
    Not sure what your basis for this statement is, but every tool is only "hobby stuff" when it's being used by a hobbyist. The same tool in the hands of an artist or craftsman is professional equipment. It's really the user that the terms define, not the tool. CarveWright software is by far the most affordable CNC software solution available. It has all of the same capabilities and more than anything else out there, but for a fraction of the price. The entire CarveWright System, all of it, is priced to be withing the reach of a hobbyist. That was the goal from the beginning. We were the first to do it, and we are still the most affordable and most capable CNC on the market.

3. Default

While I love my CW and think it is a great machine and I think the software is worth more than $400 for everything, I do think that the emphasis on breaking the software into smaller modules and charging $199 for each module is too expensive for the average user of this machine. I think many of us choose this machine as an alternative to a $5000 machine but the price is creeping up and up and now with no upgrades to the basic software we are forced to buy the new software to keep up or even to fix bugs that remain in the basic software. The other thing that is a big problem is when things like pattern sculptor come out and you can't even use it with your carvewright unless you own the newest designer software or the stl importer thus making a $199 module into a $500 module. The LHR new method of selling software seems to be to force you to buy as much as possible. Heck there was no meaning full updates to 2.0 before 3.0 came out with a new charge for owners of CW. New modules are flying out faster than we could possibly buy them. Finally the reality is that pattern sculptor is really just an update to pattern editor but now if you buy a scanner you are stuck buying both seperately, once again forcing you to buy two modules instead of one. And Joe while I may have your attention for a minute, shipping costs are too high for most small parts you sell.

I see some advantages in the modular approach. I don't need to import STL or DXF, so I haven't bought those modules. Likewise the 2D suite. If everything was bundled I might be paying more for features I don't need. That would be more like forcing one to buy everything.

BTW you don't need STL to use Pattern Sculptor.

And let's be accurate - 4 modules are $100 or less.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I see some advantages in the modular approach. I don't need to import STL or DXF, so I haven't bought those modules. Likewise the 2D suite. If everything was bundled I might be paying more for features I don't need. That would be more like forcing one to buy everything.

BTW you don't need STL to use Pattern Sculptor.

And let's be accurate - 4 modules are $100 or less.
    Pattern sculptor requires STL importer or designer 3.0 otherwise you cannot use it with carvewright. stl is $199 and 3.0 is $300. The 4 modules that are $100 or less were created years ago, nothing in the last 2 years has been less than $199. I agree the STL and DXF should be add ons but most everything in the last year and a half are upgrades and most require you to buy 2.0 or 3.0 to use them meaning you must purchase 2 items to make one work.

Lets just make a quick comparison to put things into perspective.

Vectric Aspire = $1995 + $400/year

Adobe Creative Cloud = $600/year

CarveWright Software = $0-$1400 (you get to configure the package to only what you need). If you average out all the modules and upgrades we've released for the last 7 years it averages to about $200 a year. So, if you want everything, than maybe now you'll spend $200-$400 a year.

The only other option would be to go with the Aspire type approach. A stripped down Free basic version and an expensive Pro version with a sizable annual upgrade fee. By keeping it modular you can upgrade annually for $200 and then add only what you need. It really can't get any more economical than that.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    Pattern sculptor requires STL importer or designer 3.0 otherwise you cannot use it with carvewright. stl is $199 and 3.0 is $300. The 4 modules that are $100 or less were created years ago, nothing in the last 2 years has been less than $199. I agree the STL and DXF should be add ons but most everything in the last year and a half are upgrades and most require you to buy 2.0 or 3.0 to use them meaning you must purchase 2 items to make one work.
    All new add on features are based on the new designer format, so true you would need the new version to take advantage.

Not true!
    "Pattern sculptor requires STL importer or designer 3.0 otherwise you cannot use it with carvewright."

This is the description of Sculptor taken from the product description on the CW site.

Pattern Sculptor can be used as a Stand Alone program or will integrate with Designer 3 Upgrade. To use ALL of the features of Pattern Sculptor as displayed in the tutorials, additional software purchase may be required, such as Designer 3 Upgrade or STL Importer.
    Clean Up Patterns
    Whether it's a scan made with your Scanning Probe, a pattern made with the Modeling Suite, or an image or pattern imported from elsewhere, these tools allow for quick and seamless editing to correct or alter the original artwork.
    Add or Remove Details
    Sometimes, there are details you need in a pattern that you just can't get with the existing tools in Designer or other packages. With Sculptor, those details are a few mouse clicks away. Sculpt in fine details, raise and lower specified areas, erase parts you don't need, and so much more.
    Make 3D to Relief
    With so many 3D files available these days, it's nice to be able to make them into useable relief patterns. Now with Sculptor, we can make them flat and then with the tools available, edit them further to make them truly detailed.
    Import and Export Directly From Designer 3
    Double click on a pattern you've created in your Favorites folder and it opens in Pattern Sculptor. When you are finished editing, save it back to Designer 3 for a quick and seamless project workflow. Scans, made with the Scanning Probe, will also open into Pattern Sculptor when downloaded from your memory card.
    Import and Export Directly From Sculptor
    Pattern Sculptor works as a standalone software, meaning you can run it independently of Project Designer. This allows for files to be loaded straight into the software from a variety of formats, including: PNG, JPG, JPEG, BMP, OBJ, STL, SCP and PTR. You can also export OBJ or STL files from Pattern Sculptor allowing for maximum compatibility with other 3D software programs.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

8. Default

From your own post with a copy of description on pattern sculptor:

To use ALL of the features of Pattern Sculptor as displayed in the tutorials, additional software purchase may be required, such as Designer 3 Upgrade or STL Importer.

Quote Originally Posted by ktjwilliams View Post
    I agree it's a hobbyists focused software. Professionals need efficiency and missing basic features like a simple pocket cut makes many designs take painfully long. It doesn't prevent you from making fabulous stuff, but the software still has way too many holes for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    From your own post with a copy of description on pattern sculptor:

To use ALL of the features of Pattern Sculptor as displayed in the tutorials, additional software purchase may be required, such as Designer 3 Upgrade or STL Importer.
    And from your post "Pattern sculptor requires STL importer or designer 3.0 otherwise you cannot use it with carvewright."
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast