Thread: What to use, how to do glaze?

Default What to use, how to do glaze?

I have been carving some wildlife and farm animal plaques recently, and I want to just like glaze them so the features stand out. What is the best thing to use for this? I tried doing a couple coats of spray shellac, then oil base stain over that and it worked ok, but not really what I was looking for. I also tried a gel stain and that worked a little better but still not great. Anyone got advice?
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

2. Default

It really depends on the wood. some woods like poplar soak up stain quickly and can be splotchy so on those I use boiled linseed oil to give it color then I spray about 5 coats of lacquer (comes in a spray can). The spray lacquer is nice because there is no sanding between coats and you can apply the next coat in 15 to 20 minutes.

On harder wood I still use tung or boiled linseed oil but stain is a option as it does not splotch up like softer woods. I often also use stain pens or a brush to apply accent stain to areas of a carve as well. I still then spray lacquer as my go to finish. If you want a high gloss finish then use polyurathane which requires sanding or steel wool between coats. For outside plaques I use a spray Spar Urathane.