Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cribbage Peg Storage

Default Cribbage Peg Storage

Since a started making cribbage boards with my machine I always wondered why nobody had come up with a solution in which cribbage pegs could be stored in the board. I did come up with a simple solution which I will share with anyone who is interested. I found what they call a key locker at our local variety store. I cut the magnet off and carve an opening in which I glue the box. You have to be careful as the box requires a I/2" depth. Most of my board require a 1/4" depth so I had to go to 7/8" thick board to keep from carving through. See the attached picture.
    Thought someone would be interested,
    caklmk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14-5 back.jpg  

2. Default

Cyril, that is an interesting idea. Next time you go to our site you can download a PDF that shows the way we make them. When someone buys one of our board patterns we usually direct them to this..
    http://woodwisdom.com/down1load/MAKING_SLIDING_DOOR.pdf

Terry thanks for sharing this PDF . You make very nice cribbage boards.

I can vouch for Terry's peg storage idea, it works very well.

Default Too much time

I agree that the sliding cover works very well. My only reason for using the key locker was time. It requires about 30 minuets of carving time or about the same as your method. I make 2 to 3 boards a day for various silent auctions which I donate to as well as several craft sales. My boards are all made out of Padauk, Oak, and Walnut. Thought you would like to see the other side, so am attaching picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brewers Baseball.jpg   14-5 back.jpg  

6. Default

I think it is a great idea Cyril. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying my way is better. That wasn't my intent. I am always open to new ideas. Beautiful board also.

Nice idea to do this quickly.

I use a hand router, a jig, a 1/4" straight bit, and a dovetail bit to carve my pocket. The dovetail bit is set only 1/8" or so deep and cuts a v-shaped slot for the brass cover to slide into. Sorry, I don't have a photo of the edge of the board to illustrate this. I get the brass strips from the hardware store and bend them using a vise. The slight bend you see to the right creates enough tension to keep the cover from sliding out. Once you have made the jig for the router, it takes only a few minutes to cut the recess and slot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6302917.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	72138

8. Default

Here is my peg holder.

Name:	peg holder.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	72139

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    Here is my peg holder.

Name:	peg holder.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	72139
    That's cool. I have some thin plywood that might also be used for the cover. All could be cut with the Carvewright.

Good ideas in this thread.

I like all of the ideas. This is how I've been doing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails last supper.JPG   cribbage boar2.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast