Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bendable Binder

Default Bendable Binder

I am trying to create this. Has anyone done this? Attached is my first attempt. It looked good but didn't bend...just cracked and then broke. Feedback welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0296.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	72108

binder.mpc

I had to mount it to a jig so it does cut all the way through the 1/8 in birch plywood

Your pattern is not as flexible like the one in the picture. Look more closely at the picture.

When I zoom in, I see a different pattern, see the area below your carve area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slits.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would think to even get this project started you need to make your board size to 1/8 thick and not one inch, you also have the depth set at a .25 try a .031 setting instead... play with it and see what you come up with...

I have cut "living hinges" on my laser, but I'm not sure you can make a working living hinge with the cw.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsky View Post
    I am trying to create this. Has anyone done this? Attached is my first attempt. It looked good but didn't bend...just cracked and then broke. Feedback welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0296.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	72108

binder.mpc

I had to mount it to a jig so it does cut all the way through the 1/8 in birch plywood
    Doug Fletcher

I can't see the mpcs because of the software version, but I think these are more suited to laser mainly because it works best with a thin cut line. There are pages and videos out there that help with some of the geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    When I zoom in, I see a different pattern, see the area below your carve area.
    Yep....I see it. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I would think to even get this project started you need to make your board size to 1/8 thick and not one inch, you also have the depth set at a .25 try a .031 setting instead... play with it and see what you come up with...
    Not sure I follow. The machine won't let you put in a piece less than .5" thick. So I put it in a Jig which makes it one inch thick in the drawing. The cutting depth is just past the 1/8" plywood thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsky View Post
    Not sure I follow. The machine won't let you put in a piece less than .5" thick. So I put it in a Jig which makes it one inch thick in the drawing. The cutting depth is just past the 1/8" plywood thickness.
    You do not include the thickness of the carry board. The machine will accept less than .5". It will complain that the piece is too thin, but just tell it to accept it and it will. I carve .25" lithos all the time.
    George

Try using solid wood, not plywood.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast