Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dowel Making Tool

what did use use for the drill end of it ?

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    Dan, I have been wanting to make this since you posted it, What hardware did you use for the drill and is there a different name for what I call a center finder I haven't made a thing yet with the rotary jig because I want to make the bear claw and can't find a 3" dowel.

The rotary jig will round the square blank for you. As part of the setup, the prompts will ask for the diagonal measurement of the square blank. Using the arrow keys, select the measurement that is equal to or greater than your actual measurement (not less). The carving will start high as it doesn't know if you started on a flat or on a corner and work its way down. Although I have a lathe to turn the blank round first, it's faster to just start with a square blank and I have never broken a bit using this method.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-27-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    Steve

What I don't like Steve is the carve time on the CW machine...I have hard enough time just keeping it runnining !

What I don't like Steve is the carve time on the CW machine...I have hard enough time just keeping it runnining !
    Me too! But, even professional CNC machines are slow if the quality of the carve is good.
    Steve

I finished a carve three weeks ago and things were working good, tried to run my apothecary cabinet yesterday and my board sensor was bad did the checks put a piece of paper down and the best reading was 25, so I am waiting for a board sensor.

what did use use for the drill end of it ?
    I used a 10 mm ground shaft that was in my junk pile. I made it a press fit in the drive disk. You can just use a bolt. It just has to fit with whatever bearings you use.

Thanks Dan, I have the board carrier downloaded and come to find out the guy helping me get parts, got me pan head screws instead of furniture screws...(do it myself next time)... to many irons in the fire..lol

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345