Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dowel Making Tool

I tried it on my router table. Nowhere as good as the table saw. Much larger forces and not capable of removing nearly as much material per pass.

Here are my latest files (I started with my rotary jig files and so these are in Designer 2). You may want to alter them for your own hardware. It is a fairly simple box which does not really require the CW to make. It could easily be made with just a table saw and drill press. I made my prototypes out of 1/2 and 3/4 MDF. There are two files, one for 1/2 and one for 3/4. You have to figure out your own base since it must fit your table saw. I glued my first one together but used screws on my second one just to make it easier to alter. (Notice the notch in the front bearing block. It is to attach a ruler.)

I really think this is an awesome tool for anyone serious about using the rotary jig. Post pictures of what you make!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0.JPG   1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG  

4.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 02-15-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammer

You wouldn't need the router table from the one i saw. They made a sled for the router to slide across the top

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I tried it on my router table. Nowhere as good as the table saw. Much larger forces and not capable of removing nearly as much material per pass.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Thanks for sharing . I am still running on 187. but I do understand how it is made. Again thanks. I have used the router table for smaller work like rods for windows etc.

Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    You wouldn't need the router table from the one i saw. They made a sled for the router to slide across the top
    I think a router table is better than a stand alone router on a guide and, still, nothing like the smoothness of the table saw. The table saw can handle large variations in a single pass whereas the router bites and grabs something awful. You just have to try it!! I can make dowels out of firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Thanks for sharing . I am still running on 187. but I do understand how it is made. Again thanks. I have used the router table for smaller work like rods for windows etc.
    I figured that only rotary jig people would want to make this and so Designer 2.0 should be ok. I would have had to start from scratch since my rotary jig III mpcs are all in Designer 2.0 and I just modified them for the dowel maker. (Henry could upload it onto your card.)

Dan, that is awsum I saved the file, I recieved the rotary jig yesterday I'm ready to play with it and that is a good time to make this for the rotary jig, I have to wait a couple of days.. it is getting cold here 46 degrees for the high...Brrr.

In case you wondered what the notch in the bearing block was for:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ruler.png  

That is a fantastic idea bergerud, saves a lot of fumbling with a tape measure.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Dan, I have been wanting to make this since you posted it, What hardware did you use for the drill and is there a different name for what I call a center finder I haven't made a thing yet with the rotary jig because I want to make the bear claw and can't find a 3" dowel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails center finder.PNG  
    Last edited by aokweld101; 06-27-2015 at 07:23 AM.

I would just call that thing a center as on a lathe. Try and make the drive flange as close as you can to the one on the rotary jig. That way the dowel easily swaps over.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast