Thread: Detail lost from pattern to placement on project

1. Default Detail lost from pattern to placement on project

I have attached the both the pattern and the project. As you can see there is a lot more detail in the pattern than in the project. I didn't resize the pattern at all.

-Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WIWoodworker; 02-28-2007 at 01:39 PM.

2. Default sorry I couldn't post the ptn file I used

But the pattern did have a lot more detail!

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by WIWoodworker View Post
    I have attached the both the pattern and the project. As you can see there is a lot more detail in the pattern than in the project. I didn't resize the pattern at all.

-Brian
    This has been something that is talked about quite a lot here. As you have probably heard, the way that the CarveWright converts an image into a carving is by taking the grayscale value and converting it into a depth (white is deepest, black is no cut, grey shades are inbetween). Given the fact that a photograph is a complex mixture of greyscale values, and you are carving with a 1/16th inch bit, they do not convert very well automatically.

To get best results, take your photograph into a program such as Correl or Xara, and use the vector tools to recreate your photograph in solid grey tones and gradients that will carve smoothly. Export the image as a .png file (.jpg files tend to pick up noise that shows up in carvings), make sure it looks good, and carve away.

Unfortunately this will probably take you a couple of hours to create an image that you like, but the results should be stunning. There's a few tutorials on using Correl with the CarveWright at www.allcw.com. Two are free, and one is $10.

Good luck!

4. Default change bit to carver bit for project

Only 1/16th straight bit is available, why can't you choose the carving bit, that would provide more detail?

Same thing.
    For premade quality patterns visit Vector Arts 3D.

"Belief has never been a prerequisite of truth." - me

Quote Originally Posted by WIWoodworker View Post
    Only 1/16th straight bit is available, why can't you choose the carving bit, that would provide more detail?
    The straight bit is an 1/8" straight while the carving bit is tapered down to a 1/16" ball nose.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Board Settings list both a 1/16" straight bit and an 1/8" straight bit. The 1/16" straight is the same as the provided carving bit, while the 1/8" straight is the cutting bit. I will find the thread from January where Bard explains this.

The way I interpret it is that the 1/16" ball nose listed in the options under Board Settings is the carving bit that is included with the CW. There is also a 1/16" straight listed but even if it were available I would not use it. A solid carbide 1/16" diameter straight bit will break if you breath on it too heavily. Sometime I would prefer to use a bit with less taper than the carving bit but as the taper angle decreases the strength of the cutting flutes also decreases.

In the cutting tool list there is a 1/16" straight bit you can choose.
    These bits used to be available at Sears, that's where I got mine years ago.
    I 'ts a 1/4 " shank,1/16" dia , only about 1/4" cut length, steel bit .
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years