Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 2014 Project of the Month - Floral Fascination Box

Default October 2014 Project of the Month - Floral Fascination Box

Hello,

The Floral Fascination Box project will make a wonderful gift for any special occasion! The design features two separate storage sections. The two tongue and groove sliding lids will protect the contents of whatever “fascinating” items the recipient chooses to stow (jewelry, accessories, knick-knacks or even candy).

All components are carved and cut out using just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The completed project is about is about 4" tall x 7" deep x 12" long.

Main items you will need:
    1) The Project Files (included):
    • All_Side_Panels.mpc
    • End-and-Middle_Panels.mpc
    • Lid_Layout.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
    Side Panels: 0.75" x 9" x 24"
    End & Middle Panels: 0.75" x 9" x 19"
    Lid_Layout: 0.75" x 7" x 18"
    Box Bottom Panel*: 0.25" x 10" x 4.875"
    *(Not an MPC - cut the box bottom yourself from 0.25" MDF, hardboard or Plywood )

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) A candle, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish.

Here’s what I used on my own “Floral Fascination Box” made from Select Pine:

• Wiped on Rust-Oleum Traditional Cherry stain onto select areas on the main box and “handles” on the ends of the sliding lids (no stain was applied inside the box, in the slots, nor the end panels)

• Brushed on three coats full-strength SealCoat on all parts, sanding between coats, as required

• Several light coats Zinsser Bulls Eye spray Shellac

• Several light coats of Krylon Clear acrylic spray after completing box assembly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machining-3.png   3m-sand.png   closed_floral-fascination-box_550x483.png   open_floral-fascination-box_550x290.png  

Floral_Fascination_Box_430x430.png  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Great project and a lot of thought into it Michael. Contrasting wood will make this a wonderful project.

Outstanding project Michael !!!!!
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Very unique Michael. My wife will love it. Thanks.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Looks great Michael!!! I'll have to wait until I get 2 hands again & able to work in the shop again. Happy Halloween Michael!!!

Great project Michael!!

Thanks, everyone! This particular project has been on my ta-do list for years (i.e., listed as "make a sliding top box"). I forgot all about it until I spotted it again when perusing over one of my idea folders. I should jot the dates down when I put ideas on my lists so I can see exactly how long they've been "waiting".
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Thanks, everyone! This particular project has been on my ta-do list for years (i.e., listed as "make a sliding top box"). I forgot all about it until I spotted it again when perusing over one of my idea folders. I should jot the dates down when I put ideas on my lists so I can see exactly how long they've been "waiting".
    Great project Michael and also I want to get the owl pencil holder I see its not in the pattern store yet what the holdup
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Michael this month and last months as usual are great . Appreciate the time you put forth on these. Makes the cost well worth it Thanks again.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast