Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Rotary: Screwdriver

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    2,399

    Default Rotary: Screwdriver


    0 Not allowed!
    I'm having a real problem designing a screwdriver handle with the rotary software. Everything comes out as planned except for the diameter of the end for the ferrule. The project is 6" long by 1.75" in diameter and the depth of the carve region (shown by the red arrows) is .375". If I pass the mouse over the region, the status bar in the lower left corner indicates a diameter of 1". That's exactly what is needed for the ferrule. However, it only measures 29/32" after it is cut. The really frustrating part is the diameter does not change with incremental changes of the depth of the carve region until at least a .005" change is made. Then the diameter jumps to 1.027". So I'm down to experimental carves that take 2 hours each. I have also tried to design the ferrule end as part of the extrude instead of a separate carve region with even worse results. Anyway, if someone can come up with a different approach I am open to all suggestions.

    I'm a little reluctant to post the mpc. If I can get this perfected I was thinking of putting it in the pattern depot as a project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screw Driver.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-20-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    Steve

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    7,622

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Steve,

    Nice design! Does the rest of the handle dimensions come out good? Is this done with separate elements or a pattern?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

    Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group


    All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    2,399

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Steve,

    Nice design! Does the rest of the handle dimensions come out good? Is this done with separate elements or a pattern?
    The design has just 3 elements. An extruded section, the carve region in question and the "bumps" pattern. If this was just for me I could mount the finished carve in the lathe and size the end for the ferrule (which has to fit "hammer on" tight). But, if I put it in the pattern depot it has to be perfect.

    EDIT: Yes, everything else seems to come out good. Although, the sizes are not as critical as the end for the ferrule.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-20-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    Steve

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    2,399

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I really don't think there is a solution to this. I just thought that by bringing to light the accuracy problem it might possibly be addressed in the next release of the software.

    Attached is a picture of the kit that I was planning to use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screwdriver Kit.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-20-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    Steve

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Springtown, TX
    Posts
    669

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I had trouble with this same thing. I made several and never got em exact.
    Brent

    A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

    Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY USA
    Posts
    952

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    I had a problem like this when I made spindles for my coat rack, it's been awhile since. But I believe I cured the problem with the height, I made a rectangle region in the area
    and adjusted the carve height and it cured the problem. Also I have Ed Bakers Rotary jig and 1.87 software.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I'm having a real problem designing a screwdriver handle with the rotary software. Everything comes out as planned except for the diameter of the end for the ferrule. The project is 6" long by 1.75" in diameter and the depth of the carve region (shown by the red arrows) is .375". If I pass the mouse over the region, the status bar in the lower left corner indicates a diameter of 1". That's exactly what is needed for the ferrule. However, it only measures 29/32" after it is cut. The really frustrating part is the diameter does not change with incremental changes of the depth of the carve region until at least a .005" change is made. Then the diameter jumps to 1.027". So I'm down to experimental carves that take 2 hours each. I have also tried to design the ferrule end as part of the extrude instead of a separate carve region with even worse results. Anyway, if someone can come up with a different approach I am open to all suggestions.

    I'm a little reluctant to post the mpc. If I can get this perfected I was thinking of putting it in the pattern depot as a project.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    8,157

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I wonder what the problem really is here. On the new rotary jig, the bit touches on the aluminum and the center axis is accurately known to be 1.75" below. Is it a z calibration problem which needs to be tweaked in the software or is it simply that errors in radii double for diameters? I have always had plus or minus 1/64" troubles with depths of regular carvings. That would jump to 1/32" for rotary diameters.

    I wonder how it would work if one milled the 1" diameter part? Carve it down close and then use, say, the 3/16" cutting bit to "pocket" it. Could be an interesting experiment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    2,399

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Hello,
    I had a problem like this when I made spindles for my coat rack, it's been awhile since. But I believe I cured the problem with the height, I made a rectangle region in the area
    and adjusted the carve height and it cured the problem. Also I have Ed Bakers Rotary jig and 1.87 software.
    There is no height on a flat carve region so it cannot be set. I also tried including the ferrule end as part of the extrude and then adjusting the height but, since the display on the status bar is inaccurate, that only compounded the problem and that's why I changed to a flat carve region. If the height is adjusted until the uppermost part of the extrude is at the surface of the board any higher setting will have no effect. Any setting below the designed height and you not only start to lose detail but, the display inaccuracy on the status bar remains the same. My point here is that the actual carve should be as accurate as the displayed value. If the Designer displays values in increments of .001" the carve should reflect those values and not be rounded off.
    Steve

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY USA
    Posts
    952

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    You are correct sir, I said it had been awhile

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    There is no height on a flat carve region so it cannot be set. I also tried including the ferrule end as part of the extrude and then adjusting the height but, since the display on the status bar is inaccurate, that only compounded the problem and that's why I changed to a flat carve region. If the height is adjusted until the uppermost part of the extrude is at the surface of the board any higher setting will have no effect. Any setting below the designed height and you not only start to lose detail but, the display inaccuracy on the status bar remains the same. My point here is that the actual carve should be as accurate as the displayed value. If the Designer displays values in increments of .001" the carve should reflect those values and not be rounded off.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •