Thread: Cheap and easy scanning sled

Default Cheap and easy scanning sled

I just got a probe and needed to make a sled. The manual suggests a laminated surface so that you can hot glue things down and clean it up, which made sense. I rememberd that I had a secton of counter top from a sink cut-out left by the previous owner of my house. I've seen these cut out pieces for sale at a local home center for $3-$4 each as well.

All the pieces came out of the sink cut-out. I used a router to remove the laminate from the edges of the base to leave a glue-able surface for the sides. The sides and base were joined with biscuts and glue. the side I wound up with about a 11.5" x 30" scanning surface with 2" sides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sled_pieces_sm.JPG   sled_clamped_sm.JPG  
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Nice idea,
    I have seen these cut outs many times
    now I will have to go back. Hope they have some now
    when I need them.
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

Jeff, sorry to hear that you're out a machine at this time. I thought about making my sleds from sink cutouts but 2 things were against it. 1 was the length, and I wanted the ability to write on them for notes, gridlines, etc. Melamine works great for this, is erasable and cheap. Any one can get a piece or 2 from their local cabinet shop for nuttin'.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I thought about carving a grid on the base before glueing on the sides. I don't think this is the ultimate sled but it was free The melamine is a great idea too, I buy some scraps from a local cabinet shop, I'll have to see if I can pick some up next time I'm out there.

As for the machine, It'll be here next week and I'll be back to carving.

Check your local craft store (i.e., Hobby Lobby). They sometimes have the grid contact paper. Some even have measuring guides.

You dirty dog!!! You got your probe!!! lol

Well, you don't have a machine to use it on, so maybe I have a small chance yet to beat you having an item scanned in........

I better get to building a sled so I can be ready...
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Default The race is on!

OK, Jon. I got my new machine today and it is about 10% into its first carving. The next thing I am trying is scanning! Now to find something to scan.

Funny thing I tossed out (almost) all my sink cutouts and old melamine shelving, I guess I will actually have to either wait for the next job or buy something, depending on if I get my probe before I do another kitchen.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

I've checked around some new home construction sites and the contractors here were willing to give the sink cutout pieces to who ever wants them.