Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help identifying this wood

Default need help identifying this wood

i have got a small piece of wood that i have had for some time now bought bunch of misc. wood pcs. from an auction a few years back but this piece has a very milk chocolate looking color , and it is very light weight, it is a soft wood, trying to identify it so i can find more. thanks
    steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140919_165019_resized.jpg   20140919_165137_resized.jpg  
    Start U Member

Looks like aromatic cedar to me. Is there any cream colored sapwood anywhere on it? It is unusual to find it with no sapwood or knots but possible, I have made boxes with just heart wood before. Does it have the cedar smell? You may need to sand it a little bit to wake up the smell. It does age to a brownish color, if you run a plane along an edge you will probably see the reddish color again.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

looks like butter nut.

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    Looks like aromatic cedar to me. Is there any cream colored sapwood anywhere on it? It is unusual to find it with no sapwood or knots but possible, I have made boxes with just heart wood before. Does it have the cedar smell? You may need to sand it a little bit to wake up the smell. It does age to a brownish color, if you run a plane along an edge you will probably see the reddish color again.
    Not aromatic cedar, I have carved bunch of that, , it's not as dark as walnut, very creamy colored , never seen any butternut, will look it up on Internet and see if that might be it
    Start U Member

i have found pics and description of Butternut and it seems to be Butternut.
    steve
    Start U Member

I have never worked with butternut either, but it is my understanding it's like walnut in properties. He said it was light weight and soft which walnut is not. Is butternut light and soft?
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Butter Nut is nice to work with softer than pine. Some carvers like to work with it.

I agree it's butternut. We carve some of this for game calls. Butternut is another name for White Walnut. It's actually walnut species. It carves well.

It is very soft and lightweight, beautiful grain
    Start U Member

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterman View Post
    i have got a small piece of wood that i have had for some time now bought bunch of misc. wood pcs. from an auction a few years back but this piece has a very milk chocolate looking color , and it is very light weight, it is a soft wood, trying to identify it so i can find more. thanks
    steve
    It kind of looks like Claro Walnut. It's a hybrid of walnut grown in California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_hindsii
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Claro Walnut.jpg  
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast