Thread: Sweep function

Default Sweep function

I've just purchased the 3-D modeling add on and am experimenting with sweeps and revolving. I'm getting a step (like a rabbet) right at the outer edge surface when I use either a sweep corner or a revolve that goes away when I set a feather of 1/8" and flip it. When I set a larger feather I can visually see how the perimeter tapers in but at 1/8" it is apparently gradual enough that it's hard to visually detect what's it's doing on the screen. So the question I have is why do I need to have the feather enabled to smooth out this aberration in what the sweep should look like in the first place? Is there another setting that will give the correct sweep without turning on the feather?

Frederick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2014-09-15 17.36.17.png   Screenshot 2014-09-15 17.52.59.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just raise or lower your outside line (on sweep)for the desired effect. Also if your using a negative merge it may change the effect of other patterns.
    thanks so much!
    karl

Quote Originally Posted by FWMiller View Post
    I've just purchased the 3-D modeling add on and am experimenting with sweeps and revolving. I'm getting a step (like a rabbet) right at the outer edge surface when I use either a sweep corner or a revolve that goes away when I set a feather of 1/8" and flip it. When I set a larger feather I can visually see how the perimeter tapers in but at 1/8" it is apparently gradual enough that it's hard to visually detect what's it's doing on the screen. So the question I have is why do I need to have the feather enabled to smooth out this aberration in what the sweep should look like in the first place? Is there another setting that will give the correct sweep without turning on the feather?

Frederick
    Apparently it has something to do with accuracy in the Designer. Raising the rightmost vertex just above the top edge of the board solves the problem.
    Steve

Thanks. I thought I had tried that but I guess I didn't go quite far enough. I've found that sometimes it doesn't like what you have done with the curve and then won't sweep it at all. It's not always obvious what you've done wrong. I think it will take some practice to figure it all out but the 3D tools will allow me to do some cool stuff.