Thread: New machine ordered

Default New machine ordered

After lurking around here for some time I just bit the bullet and placed my order. I would imagine like most everyone here before they actually placed an order, I've been reading as much as possible on the care and feeding of the machine. Being a cabinet maker and remodel contractor I have a quite a few expensive tools but this thing will be the priciest by far. I'm getting this machine hoping to augment my custom cabinet/furniture making end of the business so I'm focused more on joinery and personalizing things for customers like raised door panels or cabinet rails and stretchers in my projects. I suppose at this time I really don't know what I don't know.

I have a few initial questions.

My wife has expressed an interest in offering Lithophanes or importing pictures/photos for carving so I guess I will also be looking into that. I've read/watched some of the tutorials on the subject and would like to know what if any additional software packages would be required. Are there any outside sites or tutorials that might help on this subject.

I have read here about some guys building their own dust collection hoods vs buying one of the third party units. Are there any plans out there. I build most everything anyway so I would at least like to explore the possibility. I am very aware that DC is a big issue with the CW and I do not intend to fire it up without it.

Aside from conforming vectors and Centerline Text which are already on my potential purchase list is there anything else which should be considered.

Thanks guys and I look forward to being on here picking your brains for some time to come.

Cheers

Welcome to the CW world!

If you are planning on building your own dust collection attachment try doing a search on the subject. Make sure you put "dust collection" in the quote marks. Here are a couple I found.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ust+collection

To increase performance and accessability into the machine try to figure out how to move the hose to the non key board side of the machine and hook up on the end versus of the hose coming straight down into the attachment.

On the litho carving how to, if you follow the tips n tricks news letter instructions you should be good to go. If you purchased the new version of Designer software with your machine it does have the litho board view feature and it will give you a great view of you it will look.

Looking forward to seeing your work! Happy Carving!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Congradulations !!!!

I built one of the first dust hoods in 2007 that I know of. Made of copper circuit board material and painted. I cut a slot in the bottom to hang over the lip edge but that was not good as even with the foam seal it lost suction. I now use a all metal ringneck blues collector and I have been very happy with it. The plastic one offered is good too and many like it. Erwin will chime in soon with more details since you asked about dust collection. Both do a good job of getting the dust out. I am looking forward to the one in development that attaches to the truck. The Bit Plate and the keyboard side bump are the stumbling blocks for the truck version but I think he as it all worked out so soon...

Good Luck with your machine and remmeber to run a ground wire between your machine frame and the dust collector.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03396_WEB.jpg   DSC03399_WEB.jpg   DSC03483_WEB.jpg   DSC03465_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com