Thread: A Lithophane Birth Certificate...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A Lithophane Birth Certificate...

My daugher was born last week, and our midwife gave us a fairly pretty unofficial birth certificate, with our daughter's picture, feet prints, and some info on it. I decided it would make a great litho, and set about recreating it in designer. I had to scan in and lift the feet prints from the one she gave us, and I used the original photo that she had copied onto the certificate, but for all the text I used designer. I removed the border entirely, I figure I will incorporate that into a frame.

I have a few questions.

First; since I upgraded to the CT chuck, I've only had the carving and cutting bits I ordered at that same time with the proper shank size/collars. I do have the full set of 11 decorative bits, including a 60 and 90 degree vbit - but with the quick change adapter. I also have a collar which theoretically will work on those bits. But I haven't used any of them in that collar yet. Would it be safe for me to use the V-bit for the centerline text, in corian, with a removable collar? I had tried raster text and it just looked horrible...

Second; just aesthetically - I tried to stick to the same layout she used, and it is pretty good. But I am not 100% sure I *love* it. Any comments or ideas on laying it out a bit differently, repositioning elements, resizing text, etc.?

And Third; technically - do you see anything I have set up that won't carve right, or wouldn't work well in a litho? I haven't carved a litho in years, and have probably forgotten the right settings to use.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline