Thread: Mirror Mirror, what the heck did you do?

Default Mirror Mirror, what the heck did you do?

See the attached MPC for my cow coin bank. I ran it this morning and after complete I found that two of the pieces where smaller than the others. The cow design and the center cut outs are fine, but the outside line was smaller by quite a bit. The only thing I can come up with is that when I mirrored the elements, they were somehow changed, but if you check them in the designer it says they are the same dimensions.... even though it does appear they are smaller.

I am planning to make several designs similar to this, so I need to make sure I know what the problem is so I don't waste any more wood... or time. Thanks for any help.

cow vector bank.mpc
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

One is cut on the outside of the outline and the other on the inside. Maybe you flipped the cutout then mirrored the curve and did not flip the cutout for the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    One is cut on the outside of the outline and the other on the inside. Maybe you flipped the cutout then mirrored the curve and did not flip the cutout for the mirror.
    That appears to have fixed it. strange... thanks!
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

May I make a suggestion, and on the reverse side of the two outside pieces make a carve region that will give you another .5 space for all that big money you are saving and if you have the puff tool use a .25 puff to round the two outside cow patterns to make it a little round on the two outside pieces I couldn't put the puff on the pattern, file was to big.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aokweld101; 09-05-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added more text

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    May I make a suggestion, and on the reverse side of the two outside pieces make a carve region that will give you another .5 space for all that big money you are saving and if you have the puff tool use a .25 puff to round the two outside cow patterns to make it a little round on the two outside pieces I couldn't put the puff on the pattern, file was to big.
    Yes, I thought of that. However, I found using a short pattern bit with a hand held router does the same thing much quicker. I just glue an inner ring to each outside piece, then use the router to follow it and take out 5/16" deep. Once the outside is done, a large mortising bit and a plate on the router lets me carve out the area in a couple minutes. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com