Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dagger Handle- how to carve 2 different profiles with rotary?

Nice. That certainly shows how it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Nice. That certainly shows how it can be done.
    Thanks Dan.
    Steve

Well, I'm making progress. I've figured out how to round over the shoulders on the lower shape by applying a second horizontal extruded shape. All modifications were done on Mark's original shape and a big thank you for allowing me to do so. I'm sure having a lot of fun and learning a little in the process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Celtic Dagger Handle2.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-11-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    Steve

Steve,

Now I have two heroes in you and Mark for the rapid progress on this basic design. You understood what I was trying to express as two dished areas for the flatter areas of the lower grip. Your solution for rounding the edges of that area is also right on the money. Congratulations and our thanks.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Nice work! , might I ask what diameter are you going to carve?
    I don't have the current rotary jig (yet)
    I have the original one designed by Ed Baker, use it quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Well, I'm making progress. I've figured out how to round over the shoulders on the lower shape by applying a second horizontal extruded shape. All modifications were done on Mark's original shape and a big thank you for allowing me to do so. I'm sure having a lot of fun and learning a little in the process.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Nice work! , might I ask what diameter are you going to carve?
    I don't have the current rotary jig (yet)
    I have the original one designed by Ed Baker, use it quite a bit
    I just used Mark's original 6.5" length and 2" diameter. I don't know if it can be adapted to Ed's jig and it would be interesting to see someone do it.

The previous attachments are a progression of changes to show the differences in attempts and ideas. This latest file is a clean-up of the pattern sizes and placements including a clean-up of the transition between the upper and lower shapes. I have also been experimenting with the "Edit Envelope" tool to see if the Celtic weave pattern can conform to the lower shape and maybe remove some of the distortion from conforming the pattern to fit the parabolic taper of the handle. Still working on it. I may never carve it but, I'm sure having a lot of fun. It might make an interesting chisel or screw driver handle though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Celtic Dagger Handle3.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-12-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Removed extraneous group
    Steve

Ed's uses a 2" diameter dowel, can you export that as a stl? Ill unwrap it and give it a shot. I'm using 1.87

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I just used Mark's original 6.5" length and 2" diameter. I don't know if it can be adapted to Ed's jig and it would be interesting to see someone do it.

The previous attachments are a progression of changes to show the differences in attempts and ideas. This latest file is a clean-up of the pattern sizes and placements including a clean-up of the transition between the upper and lower shapes. I have also been experimenting with the "Edit Envelope" tool to see if the Celtic weave pattern can conform to the lower shape and maybe remove some of the distortion from conforming the pattern to fit the parabolic taper of the handle. Still working on it. I may never carve it but, I'm sure having a lot of fun. It might make an interesting chisel or screw driver handle though.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Steve- great job on figuring that out! Wow! I played around a little with the double extrude (horiz/vet) but all I got was a mess. I'm still picking my jaw off the floor after seeing your Dirk #8! I don't know if I would have ever figured out that magical combination to make it work. I'm guessing you have hundreds of hours of Designer time under your belt- and it shows. I really appreciate the help from you and James on getting this to work.
    Mark W

Thanks Capt Bruce for posting more pictures. A Black Watch dirk that was at Waterloo. OMG! (as the kids say nowadays!) Just incredible- and what an interesting way to carve the handle so that it disappears into the hilt. Never seen anything like it. I also like all the maker marks (or Regimental marks?) stamped on the hilt and the pommel. There's a story behind each one of those stamps too. The dress dirk is a fine looking thing- you wear that one? There is a fellow up here in the Seattle area I met a few years ago that deals in a lot of Scottish memorabilia. His website is http://www.scottishsword.com/ . His business is known as Scottish sword and Shield. I bought a British Midshipman's dirk from him.
    Mark W

Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Ed's uses a 2" diameter dowel, can you export that as a stl? Ill unwrap it and give it a shot. I'm using 1.87
    I do not think there is a need for STL. Can't Steve just save it as a flat pattern that you would be able to carve on Ed's jig?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast