Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resizing a vector shape

Default resizing a vector shape

...let's say that I spent 4-5 hours drawing a complex vector shape in designer (1.187), and then assigned the path a bit. I added a ton of other miscellaneous stuff; text, a pattern or two, etc.
    ...let's say that I later found out I had mismeasured my board, and I need to shrink the entire thing by a bit (have it at 10.5" wide, need it to be no more than 9.125" wide).

I know I can have the machine scale to fit. But I don't know how much it would scale, or how cleanly it would scale. I have _never_ used that feature.

I know I could make it a pattern, and then resize the pattern. But that would increase the carve time by about 3 hours to raster carve it out. And probably still wouldn't look as clean as the vector with a bit assigned.

Is there any way to save the vector path in designer, and just cleanly scale it? If I try to type in a smaller dimension, on the width or length of the shape, it mangles the path and only adjusts the one dimension; unlike patterns which are scaled equally on the X and Y when you type a new dimension into one box.

I suppose my other option, is to go get another board which is 1.5" wider... but that isn't a great choice right now, if I can even find one.

I'm guessing I will be spending a few hours recreating this path/shape. Shouldn't take as long now, especially since a portion of that first time was in changing my mind and reshaping bits. But I thought I would come see if anyone knows any tricks.
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Quote Originally Posted by karossii View Post
    ...let's say that I spent 4-5 hours drawing a complex vector shape in designer (1.187), and then assigned the path a bit. I added a ton of other miscellaneous stuff; text, a pattern or two, etc.
    ...let's say that I later found out I had mismeasured my board, and I need to shrink the entire thing by a bit (have it at 10.5" wide, need it to be no more than 9.125" wide).

I know I can have the machine scale to fit. But I don't know how much it would scale, or how cleanly it would scale. I have _never_ used that feature.

I know I could make it a pattern, and then resize the pattern. But that would increase the carve time by about 3 hours to raster carve it out. And probably still wouldn't look as clean as the vector with a bit assigned.

Is there any way to save the vector path in designer, and just cleanly scale it? If I try to type in a smaller dimension, on the width or length of the shape, it mangles the path and only adjusts the one dimension; unlike patterns which are scaled equally on the X and Y when you type a new dimension into one box.

I suppose my other option, is to go get another board which is 1.5" wider... but that isn't a great choice right now, if I can even find one.

I'm guessing I will be spending a few hours recreating this path/shape. Shouldn't take as long now, especially since a portion of that first time was in changing my mind and reshaping bits. But I thought I would come see if anyone knows any tricks.
    Select all of the vectors and click and hold the mouse on one of the yellow handles on the corners and drag. It might work but, probably not. You are really better off using Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, or some other vector drawing program that allows scaling and rotating (almost all do) to make the initial drawing and export as a .dxf.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-15-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Steve

You can select the vector, make carver region out of it , make a pattern, add the pattern to your project, outline then scale the outline.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

I don't have the dxf import add on, or I would prefer that. And like I said, aside from doubling the carve time, I doubt a raster carve will look near as good as a bit on a vector path . I'll try the yellow handles, but based on my experience with resizing it numerically, I doubt it will work.
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

The inability too scale a vector is a very annoying oversight in designer. Almost as inexcusable as having no built in pocket cutout function.

You can scale vectors. Draw a vector shape, select it, then drag any one of the corner handles to resize it proportionately. (Is that what you mean?)

I do want a pocket function...the programmers want one too.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

First, you need to remove any constraints that you have. Constraints show themselves as dimensions in yellow, such as the length of the side of a rectangle if you specified it. Those types of length constraints have to be removed manually - I'm not aware of a way to remove them otherwise. If you have specified the location of vectors or endpoints from the edge of the board or centerlines, those constraints can be removed by copying an pasting. Select everything, copy, paste, then delete the original and the location constraints will be removed.

Next, I suggest that you group everything, then select only the group. You will see a yellow rectangle with yellow arrows at the corners and edges. Place your cursor over a corner, press the mouse button and drag the corner to change the size of the group. (It's not required to group everything; you can just select everything, but in my opinion it is clearer to use the group function.)

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    You can scale vectors. Draw a vector shape, select it, then drag any one of the corner handles to resize it proportionately. (Is that what you mean?)

I do want a pocket function...the programmers want one too.
    Yes, you are correct. I misspoke. Not sure what I was doing before.....

yes, you can scale but you can't rotate vectors.

dave

The lack of rotation was probably what I was confusing with scaling. Not sure what makes adding the rotation feature so hard. You can do it while importing a dxf but it would make designs much easier to be able to do it right in designer. Also, it would be very helpful to flip a group of vectors around the groups center. Right now, each vector in the group gets flipped around its own center which is useless unless you are working with a single vector. Mirror works on a group of vectors but I can't disassociate the original vectors with the mirrored copy so you are forced to keep both. Deleting the original also deletes the mirrored version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast