Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vcarve import? Software Compatibility?

Default Vcarve import? Software Compatibility?

I thought I read here somewhere that CW was going to do an import program for vcarve files... ? Is that true and if it is do you know if it will be a separate software add on, or in one of the upgrades?

I know I can import dwg to BobCAD and Bobcad to vcarve or just dxf to vcarve. Or AutoCAD to any of the Programs Or Solidworks to any of the Programs, especially if I first convert to DXF. Or I can simply Draw and write code in BobCad and machine it with Mach 3 on pretty much any other CNC.

So, I was hoping to find a post processor for Carvewright, but it looks like I cannot even see the memory card without using designer to access it.

Is Carvewright simply a closed system that is totally proprietary? I don't have any problem with it if it is, I would just like to use some of my other CNC software with my Carvewright and I'm trying to understand what works with it and what doesn't.

CarveWright is proprietary. You can import DXF and/or STL files if you buy the respective add on programs.
    George

O.K. I can see that. Is there any plans to do an add on or product upgrade that will allow vcarve file imports??? I think That would be great, and I'm sure I read somewhere in the monthly announcements that there was some sort of interest in doing so. I'm just asking if it is true?

You can do v-carving with the new 3.0 software. If you have DXF Importer, then you can import v-carve files with that. You can also use the drawing tools to create your own v-carve project.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    You can do v-carving with the new 3.0 software. If you have DXF Importer, then you can import v-carve files with that. You can also use the drawing tools to create your own v-carve project.
    If the process hasn't changed, you can do v-carve but you can't do what most people want to do with is CENTERLINE V-carve so the thickness/depth of the carved line varies to match the imported artwork. You are stuck using the builtin profiles of Designer which are assigned to the lines imported. It's the primary reason I have not yet been compelled to upgrade to 3.0. If/when a true centerline V-carve ability is added ( not using fonts as a work around ) then I would be compelled to finally give CW some more of my money.. Honestly as of now I am starting to look at other machines as it appears maybe this feature isn't coming to Carvewright?
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    If the process hasn't changed, you can do v-carve but you can't do what most people want to do with is CENTERLINE V-carve so the thickness/depth of the carved line varies to match the imported artwork. You are stuck using the builtin profiles of Designer which are assigned to the lines imported. It's the primary reason I have not yet been compelled to upgrade to 3.0. If/when a true centerline V-carve ability is added ( not using fonts as a work around ) then I would be compelled to finally give CW some more of my money.. Honestly as of now I am starting to look at other machines as it appears maybe this feature isn't coming to Carvewright?
    So I believe the process would be to import the artwork into 3rd party software, create outlines, and export the outlines as DXF. Then import as DXF and use the v-carve feature in 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    There is a true v-carve in Designer. It's the "Vector Group" tool and it's a built in feature of Designer 3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails U of A VG.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-24-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Steve

I think that the issue is Ton80 wants to do this from artwork, like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artwork.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	81954
    You could import this into designer as a pattern and then use Outline Pattern, but unfortunately Vector Group does not work with the outlines created with that tool. I think you would need to use 3rd party software to convert the artwork into vectors, import as DXF, then apply Vector Group. As I do not have DXF importer, I cannot try it. Maybe you can give it a go.

hmm.. interesting. I'll look at that but does designer make the depth profile changes by following a centerline of those vectors or is the user required to add a "depth profile" to each vector? Maybe I have had this feature confused all this time because that is how I thought it was explained to me when 3.0 first came out.
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

It adjusts depth to the width of an enclosed vector path:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vector group.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	81955

Pretty sure there is a demo video out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast