Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf Ball design

Default Golf Ball design

I need a little help with a pattern for a golf ball. I found the free pattern golf ball (thanks to whomever posted it), however it is not quite meeting the needs I have. I have been asked to help design/decorate the walls of the Fort Sill, OK golf club. The idea is to have the half section of a golf ball about 12" across and change the name from "Titleist" to the name of the unit "428th FA BDE" with a ball number on one side and "Cornerstone" with the alignment arrows on the other side. I suck at making patterns so any help would be appreciated. The example I have shown just isn't deep enough. I have .stl if I could do it in several carves but I don't know how to do that either. If someone would like to commission a pattern, let me know the cost and I'll be happy to pay for it.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Golf Ball 1.png   Golf Ball 2.png  

John,

Have you already tried changing the Height to '999' and making the pattern Depth deeper in Designer?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by JDPratt View Post
    I need a little help with a pattern for a golf ball. I found the free pattern golf ball (thanks to whomever posted it), however it is not quite meeting the needs I have. I have been asked to help design/decorate the walls of the Fort Sill, OK golf club. The idea is to have the half section of a golf ball about 12" across and change the name from "Titleist" to the name of the unit "428th FA BDE" with a ball number on one side and "Cornerstone" with the alignment arrows on the other side. I suck at making patterns so any help would be appreciated. The example I have shown just isn't deep enough. I have .stl if I could do it in several carves but I don't know how to do that either. If someone would like to commission a pattern, let me know the cost and I'll be happy to pay for it.

John
    Maybe something like this? The golf ball pattern is from the Pattern Depot and is unlicensed. I used the revolve tool from the 3D package to make the domed surface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Golf Ball.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-22-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    Steve

Try this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golf_ball_RB.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	71264

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    John,

Have you already tried changing the Height to '999' and making the pattern Depth deeper in Designer?
    Yes, I already changed the height to 999 in designer, but it doesn't seem enough. I would really like this to be more round/domed like the ball is about 1/4-1/3 proud of the wall relative to its diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Maybe something like this? The golf ball pattern is from the Pattern Depot and is unlicensed. I used the revolve tool from the 3D package to make the domed surface.
    The Pattern depot is where I got the ball I was working with. It is a nice pattern, but as stated, I really want this to look even more domed. Even at 999 I am looking at less then 3/4" of "ball" sticking out from the wall and that appears to be a 6 hour carve. Given that the ball will have a diameter of 12" I think I need a little more relief than that to look right.

John,

The only way to get more defined relief and more "domed roundness" on that particular pattern is to go deeper. You might even want to consider gluing two boards together to get enough thickness (as long as you own Designer 2 or above and have the 1/8" ballnose long carving bit), or if you own the Pattern Editor (for converting/exporting the PTN to an STL) and the STL Slicer (to slice the model in two or three sections to be carved in thinner sections then glued together on top of each other).
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-22-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    ... if you own the Pattern Editor (for converting/exporting the PTN to an STL) and the STL Slicer (to slice the model in two or three sections to be carved in thinner sections then glued together on top of each other).
    This is what I am talking about. I have all of the named programs, but as others can attest, I am computer illiterate. I don't know how to make the program work to do this. I am afraid that if I do this as a deep carve it will take 20 hours to do the carve. I would like to break it down into several shorter carves.

This is the imported image by RogerB. I cleaned it up a little in the PE and made the size 4" X 4"
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-25-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Steve

Default golf ball

John,

I assume you are looking for more detail. Here are two slices that can be glued together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails golf ball slice 1.PNG   golf ball slice 2.PNG  
    B Lantz

Quote Originally Posted by JDPratt View Post

John
    One of these is on a .75" thick board and is done with version 1.187. The other is on a 1.5" thick board and is done in version 3. I hope this is what you are looking for.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-25-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast