Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puffing…..how to puff only one line within a 4-sided shape

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Carvewright has many tutorials on just about everything. Including the add-ons. http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...ted/tutorials/

The learning curve can be a challenge but, IMHO, there is just as much fun in the designing phase as there is in the actual building phase. I'm not all that creative but, with the right tools and a little time invested I can do things that are quite spectacular.
    I have gone through the tutorials but as Connie said there is a need for more detailed instructional videos or tutorials. Heck there is a need for more documentation on all of CW's software, hardware and maintenance. I will give them some credit as the site has gotten better in the last year but Ask Bud is sorely missed. I also do not think there should be such a reliance on owners to help each other.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    I have gone through the tutorials but as Connie said there is a need for more detailed instructional videos or tutorials. Heck there is a need for more documentation on all of CW's software, hardware and maintenance. I will give them some credit as the site has gotten better in the last year but Ask Bud is sorely missed. I also do not think there should be such a reliance on owners to help each other.
    I thought Connie's post was directed at me. I think she wanted me to explain more on how I did it or make a video.
    Steve

3. Default

I thought Connie's post was directed at me. I think she wanted me to explain more on how I did it or make a video.
    I do not think there should be such a reliance on owners to help each other.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    I do not think there should be such a reliance on owners to help each other.

Gee, that is what we are here for!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It was not directed at anyONE person. Just a statement in general, even to LHR. We discussed this in our management meeting this morning. Our problem is we don't have a lot of spare time to spend on it.

There are tons of tutorials. We are in discussions about how to better organize it. YES, it is MUCH BETTER than it used to be.

As far as leaning on others, that is how we got to where we are today. Askbud did all of his on his own. Michael T did tips & tricks for years, but even he is swamped with other commitments. MANY others have contributed over the years and some like Al who and others continue to offer their knowledge. Steve has stepped in with his two videos that will be featured in the upcoming Newsletter and placed in a good location on our website.

The Reed logo image looked to me to be the perfect excuse for using the drawing tools and the puff tools of 3d Pattern Modeling. You could import and trace the image and use drawing tools, if you didn't have the Vector Suite or, if you did, use the IMPORT TRACE tool.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

You can get a true airfoil shape without too much trouble. I did this quick example to demonstrate how the Rail Sweep is suited for this job.

For the delineation of the rudder, I just drew a vector and assigned the 1/16" Carving bit and used Conform Vector. For the tail fin nacelles, I drew just one as an example and used the Puffing/Curve profile. I also used the Tilt Tool (but it would be better to tilt after it is a PTN...see next paragraph...)

If I were to continue this and really tweak it, I would create a PTN for the main tail fin overall, then make separate PTN's for the nacelles and other details so I could have complete freedom for merging, tilting and so on until it was exactly how I want it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails airfoil_example_screenshot.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Clever indeed Michael. I didn't even think about the "Rail Sweep" tool.
    Steve

Clever indeed Michael. I didn't even think about the "Rail Sweep" tool.
    Thank you, Steve...but, the 'cleverness kudos' go to the programmers though. Rail sweeps are good for a lot of modeling tasks. It is a very handy tool.

I am kinda hoping you can find time to make a video of this. You always do a fantastic job and everyone appreciates the videos you do find the time to make!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    You can get a true airfoil shape without too much trouble. I did this quick example to demonstrate how the Rail Sweep is suited for this job.

For the delineation of the rudder, I just drew a vector and assigned the 1/16" Carving bit and used Conform Vector. For the tail fin nacelles, I drew just one as an example and used the Puffing/Curve profile. I also used the Tilt Tool (but it would be better to tilt after it is a PTN...see next paragraph...)

If I were to continue this and really tweak it, I would create a PTN for the main tail fin overall, then make separate PTN's for the nacelles and other details so I could have complete freedom for merging, tilting and so on until it was exactly how I want it.
    As they say in the south..that dog will hunt! Great job. I really appreciate your time to create this. I'm going to try to replicate to see if I can manage to get in the same ballpark. I'm still getting up to speed on all the terminology so hang on for a few more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by AlBCuttnWud View Post
    As they say in the south..that dog will hunt! Great job. I really appreciate your time to create this. I'm going to try to replicate to see if I can manage to get in the same ballpark. I'm still getting up to speed on all the terminology so hang on for a few more questions.
    Hope the example helps. It only took about a minute to do. TIP: You have the option to Scale Z when doing a sweep. I did NOT use that option in that quickie example. However, I think it would look better if you did use it...that way the top of the tail fin will naturally taper down thinner like a real airfoil does at the narrower end (i.e., the top of the fin in this case). My example has the fin thickness the same at the leading edge at both top and bottom because I did not engage the Scale Z option.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast