Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Puffing…..how to puff only one line within a 4-sided shape

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hope the example helps. It only took about a minute to do. TIP: You have the option to Scale Z when doing a sweep. I did NOT use that option in that quickie example. However, I think it would look better if you did use it...that way the top of the tail fin will naturally taper down thinner like a real airfoil does at the narrower end (i.e., the top of the fin in this case). My example has the fin thickness the same at the leading edge at both top and bottom because I did not engage the Scale Z option.
    About add-ons and additional software features….I only have the standard 3.0 that came with the machine. What additional add-ons do I need to purchase to be able to create this seemingly simple design?

Quote Originally Posted by AlBCuttnWud View Post
    About add-ons and additional software features….I only have the standard 3.0 that came with the machine. What additional add-ons do I need to purchase to be able to create this seemingly simple design?
    I used the following tools for the example...

• the 2Vector Drawing Suite (2D Advanced) to make trace lines from your photo
    • the Pattern Modeling Suite (3D Advanced) to create the Rail Sweep model of the airfoil and the 'puff' and "tilt" for the nacelle
    • the Conforming Vectors for the lines of the tail fin rudder deliniation to conform to the curvature of the fin

If I had continued to completion, I would also be using the Pattern Editor to nicely blend all the parts after creating the final PTN (pattern)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thank you, Steve...but, the 'cleverness kudos' go to the programmers though. Rail sweeps are good for a lot of modeling tasks. It is a very handy tool.

I am kinda hoping you can find time to make a video of this. You always do a fantastic job and everyone appreciates the videos you do find the time to make!
    I made a short video as Michael requested. Below is a link to all of the videos I have made so far. This one is named "Stabilizer"

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...kE&usp=sharing
    Steve

That's fantastic, Steve!

I'll add a couple quick tips to augment your excellent tutorial video:

1) The Red and Green line order is determined by which line is drawn FIRST for the two-rail sweep. The first line will be the Green one when you go into the profile drawing window. Drawing the angle line first, makes it the green one which is intuitively the reverse of the profile direction as shown. You and I both drew the angled line first.

If we drew the vertical line first, then that line becomes the green one and the profile direction would visually match. It does NOT matter which one is drawn first or second (as far as the sweep functionality)...you just make sure you draw the sweep profile according to the visual red/green guidelines (even if it looks 'backwards'). The profile sweep will still work correctly, as we see in the example.

2) The attachment method shown in the video is a good technique to know and to learn. There is a shortcut method to making sure the profile extends all the way to either side, by clicking the icon "Fit to Left and Right Guides" it does the same thing, but does not "lock" the position like an attachment does. So, attaching is really good for locking the ends, if necessary...the shortcut is handy if locking isn't required.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-14-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

That's fantastic, Steve!

I'll add a couple quick tips to augment your excellent tutorial video:

1) The Red and Green line order is determined by which line is drawn FIRST for the two-rail sweep. The first line will be the Green one when you go into the profile drawing window. Drawing the angle line first, makes it the green one which is intuitively the reverse of the profile direction as shown. You and I both drew the angled line first.

If we drew the vertical line first, then that line becomes the green one and the profile direction would visually match. It does NOT matter which one is drawn first or second (as far as the sweep functionality)...you just make sure you draw the sweep profile according to the visual red/green guidelines (even if it looks 'backwards'). The profile sweep will still work correctly, as we see in the example.

2) The attachment method shown in the video is a good technique to know and to learn. There is a shortcut method to making sure the profile extends all the way to either side, by clicking the icon "Fit to Left and Right Guides" it does the same thing, but does not "lock" the position like an attachment does. So, attaching is really good for locking the ends, if necessary...the shortcut is handy if locking isn't required.
    I changed the Stabilizer video to include the suggestions by MT.

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-14-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    Steve

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I changed the Stabilizer video to include the suggestions by MT.

Nicely done Steve……..I guess I'll be buying some add-ons. I really appreciate your efforts to put this video together.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123