Thread: cutting out the back of board

Default cutting out the back of board

When you cut out the back of a board for a picture frame , instead of using the 1/16 carving to cut it out like going down .250 , how would you set up the 1/8 cutting bit to cut it out or a 1/2 cutting bit , don't have the 2 or 3d or the 3 I only have the 2.07
    any help appreciated, first time for me to try this teck neat I don't have the path offset like Steve nelson has
    Last edited by henry1; 08-09-2014 at 06:00 AM.
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Henry - take a look at the attached MPC of a clock I did.......maybe the back cut-out for the clock works will give you an idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    When you cut out the back of a board for a picture frame , instead of using the 1/16 carving to cut it out like going down .250 , how would you set up the 1/8 cutting bit to cut it out or a 1/2 cutting bit , don't have the 2 or 3d or the 3 I only have the 2.07
    any help appreciated, first time for me to try this teck neat I don't have the path offset like Steve nelson has
    Henry

Even though you don't have the Path Offset tool you can still make successively smaller rectangles or circles. I usually use a 1/8" bit and set each rectangle or circle to be .1" smaller. If you have trouble aligning them do it on a new board and use the "Center Both" function and then copy and paste to your project. If you need the pocket to be an exact size don't forget to inset the bit by .063" on the outermost shape.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-09-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    Steve

Also, for a picture frame, if you have a pocket on the back and a cutout on the front you will have to deal with the tabs issue. The cutout on the front will not have any wood left for the tabs because of the pocket on the back. I'm not sure if this issue has been dealt with in version 2 for two-sided projects.
    Steve

Thank you guys I got the drift of it well appreciated wont forget about it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Also, for a picture frame, if you have a pocket on the back and a cutout on the front you will have to deal with the tabs issue. The cutout on the front will not have any wood left for the tabs because of the pocket on the back. I'm not sure if this issue has been dealt with in version 2 for two-sided projects.
    I think I would put the pattern on the back of the board and do the cutout and ledge from the front. You know, do it upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think I would put the pattern on the back of the board and do the cutout and ledge from the front. You know, do it upside down.
    That's probably the best approach but, a little tricky to get the cutout path on the front to align with the pattern on the back.
    Steve