Thread: Has any one used the sense 3d scanner?

Default Has any one used the sense 3d scanner?

I was wondering if anyone has used the sense 3d scanner yet. They say that it will export files to STL and a few other formats.You can scan people of large objects as well it cost 399.99. I was thinking on scanning some old antiques parts that was to big for the carvewright scanning probe and slice them up in the stl importer software to replace missing parts or pieces. I was debating on getting one to try. Look on Youtube the are lots of videos!

Quote Originally Posted by searcherman View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has used the sense 3d scanner yet. They say that it will export files to STL and a few other formats.You can scan people of large objects as well it cost 399.99. I was thinking on scanning some old antiques parts that was to big for the carvewright scanning probe and slice them up in the stl importer software to replace missing parts or pieces. I was debating on getting one to try. Look on Youtube the are lots of videos!
    I rmember looking at those when they were first introduced. I am looking at using 123dcatch right now for doing that sort of thing. You might want to try it first since it doesn't cost anything.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    I rmember looking at those when they were first introduced. I am looking at using 123dcatch right now for doing that sort of thing. You might want to try it first since it doesn't cost anything.

dave
    Thank you for posting information about 123d catch it looks very useful and has as much potential as the 3d scanner. You just have saved me 400.00 bucks, you guys on this forum are great. Maybe one day I will be able to help someone with a question.Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by searcherman View Post
    Thank you for posting information about 123d catch it looks very useful and has as much potential as the 3d scanner. You just have saved me 400.00 bucks, you guys on this forum are great. Maybe one day I will be able to help someone with a question.Thanks again!!
    As long as you are willing to share what you learn you will surprise yourself at how soon others will be thanking you for your help.

You can visit the link below to see a comparison between the 123DCatch, the Sense, MakerBot and NextEngine Scanners. I'm not impressed with any of them except for the NextEngine (which I have connected to my computer at this moment).

The NextEngine gets about the same detail as those $20,000 scanners at about 1/5th the cost. The NextEngine Scanner is $2995 with the basic software...add $995 to get the HD Pro software, which allows you to scan larger objects, get more detail and scans faster than the basic software.

http://www.nextengine.com/gallery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dog-scan.png   trophy-scan.png   NextEngine-setup-on-my-laptop.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-04-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added photos
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael T have you created any patterns from a nextengine scan? If so how did it turn out as compared to original.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    Michael T have you created any patterns from a nextengine scan? If so how did it turn out as compared to original.
    Yes, indeed. They come out fantastic. (Museums are using the NextEngine to create highly detailed models of bones, fossils, whatever - including the actual colors and texture...they use a much higher resolution mode than I typically do, since it's important to them to preserve every minute detail...of course, the scans take MUCH longer at the highest resolutions). I still create most patterns/models from scratch (since I usually start with hand drawings, like the recent Owl project - so there is nothing to scan), but this scanner is absolutely ideal for creating full-3D models that are destined for use with the CW Rotary Jig!

I am SO LATE on offering Rotary Patterns and Projects for the Pattern Depot, but they ARE coming! It is a struggle to find the time for everything I need/want to do. I will create my own original full 3D clay models by hand, scan them with the NextEngine, then save as STL for the Rotary. Some of those will also be modified as regular relief models, too.

Here's a scan I did last Friday of a small antique ceramic duck I found at a consignment shop. Took my wife out on a date and after dinner, we went for a walk and went in the shop. They had a tabletop full of all kinds of small ceramic ducks - I bought two of them and scanned one immediately after getting home that evening.

One screenshot below is the completed scan in the NextEngine software...the other screenshot is the CW STL Importer where I can position, slice, arrange the model as I wish, then save as a relief pattern or as a full 3D (sliced) carve project.

(I added a couple pics of my original owl drawings in case anyone was curious! Please don't copy them, though.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails duck-scan.png   michaels-owl-drawing_1.png   duck-stl-import.png   michaels-owl-drawing_2.png  

Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-04-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added photos of my sketches of the recent Owl I modeled for a POM
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Very Nice, Michael. I'm looking forward to seeing those patterns. I have been playing with a bunch of STL imports lately and keep running into issues around the 3.0 bug where the depth reverts to zero when it goes past the center line. Any update on when the fix to that will be coming?

dave