Thread: Help with a carving

Default Help with a carving

I'm trying to refresh my memory on a carving. But I get the good old message that the bit may interfere with the machine and
    could break a bit. (don't want that) then I get the message about manual jig, auto, or something else. Could someone explain
    this in better detail. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is your project within 1/2" of the top of the virtual project board? Warning you that you may be too close to tracking roller when carving/cutting.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Sorry, can't open .mpc on iPad.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Yeah it's prolly just saying your pattern is too close to the edge. The machine won't let it cut the tracking wheel or anything, it will just not cut all the way through in that area. When I get that, as long as I'm confident there will be enough material on the edge to keep the board or project from breaking while carving I generally just hit ignore and go on. Other option is make the board wider or the project smaller.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Quote Originally Posted by Canemaker View Post
    I'm trying to refresh my memory on a carving. But I get the good old message that the bit may interfere with the machine and
    could break a bit. (don't want that) then I get the message about manual jig, auto, or something else. Could someone explain
    this in better detail. Thanks
    After looking at your MPC I don't know why there would be a problem. You got almost an inch from the edge all around. It's prolly just warning you that wide cuts across the board can interfere with the machine, meaning it could cause a problem with having enough pressure from the rollers. In this case I would ignore, you should be fine.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Actually, I think this message is to do with the board not staying under the front roller. When the board comes out from under the front roller, the brass tracking roller stops tracking. It is risky to be cutting without the brass tracking roller doing the tracking. If your real board is long enough to stay under the rollers during the cutout, you can ignore the message.

begerud has it. You should consider using a sled with at least 1/2" side rails (I use 1") and at least 3.5" ends (I use 4"). This will cut down on waste in the long run.

I agree with DickB and bergerud. Your mpc calls for a 16" long board, so either use a 23" long board (16 + 7) or a sled and you shouldn't have a problem. An inch on each side of the cut path along the width should be plenty....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...