Thread: carving on acrylic

1. Default carving on acrylic

I am very interested in learning how to carve on acrylic. I am finding it difficult to locate the proper type of acrylic, but in playing around with Designer, I can't find a way to invert text so that I can carve on the back. Is that the proper method? If so, how? I've heard that carves need to be very shallow. I saw a posting o Etsy recently extolling the quality of a 3-D. Is that possible with Designer? Does it require 3-D add on program? Is there a tutorial somewhere explaining this process? I've looked, but I can't find any help. Thanks to anyone willing to share expertise

There a lots of sources for cast acrylic material. You might start with your local glass shop.

Attached is an mpc with the text on the back to show you the alignment/rotation.

Not sure what your asking about on the 3D unless it is, can you carve 3D on acrylic? If so yes it is possible with designer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carve on back.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by t-townwilson View Post
    I can't find a way to invert text so that I can carve on the back.
    Select the text, then click on Layout - Flip and Rotate - Flip Horizontally.

4. Default

Thank you so much for your help! I was able to carve my first acrylic...Irish Blessing, and it looks awesome!

Pictures please!
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi