Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spline Tool quit working

Default Spline Tool quit working

The Spline Tool quit working in my 1.187 program - works OK in 2.007. If I click on a line with the Spline Tool selected the yellow dot in the middle of the line disappears. I can change it back to a straight line or an arc. The magic pen also does not work. The magic pen doesn't work at all in 1.187, but does not work like the tutorial shows in 2.007. I doesn't leave the blue dots behind unless I right click and toggle intersect - some times. When I do get a blue dot (2.007) most of the time I can only pull or push it but not swing it.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Hi Clint,

I got some strange aberrations of the same symptoms Wednesday when trying to construct the same project in two different versions of Designer to make it available for sharing. I'm going to go back now and see if the problem as you have described it applies and would explain what I was seeing. Thanks for giving me some focus, as I thought I was just to tired so I stopped trying.
    Last edited by Capt Bruce; 08-01-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    The Spline Tool quit working in my 1.187 program - works OK in 2.007. If I click on a line with the Spline Tool selected the yellow dot in the middle of the line disappears. I can change it back to a straight line or an arc. The magic pen also does not work. The magic pen doesn't work at all in 1.187, but does not work like the tutorial shows in 2.007. I doesn't leave the blue dots behind unless I right click and toggle intersect - some times. When I do get a blue dot (2.007) most of the time I can only pull or push it but not swing it.
    Clint
    I would like to see an example mpc to determine if there is really a 'problem' or not. Do you have something you can post?

You mentioned having a blue dot that you can only push/pull. Right-click on the dot and see if that dot is set to "tangent". If so, then the behavior you described is normal. To make the blue dot able to "swing", just right-click on the dot and select "Free".

EDIT: forgot to mention yellow dots appear only for line segments...not splines or arcs. (I don't know what the magic pen is you are referring to.)
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-01-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: more info
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I think Clint was referring to the Smart Spline Tool. I need to go back and watch the video again as Joe presented these.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    I think Clint was referring to the Smart Spline Tool. I need to go back and watch the video again as Joe presented these.
    That's a good idea. I also made a tutorial some time ago. Here's the link:

http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...ector-drawing/

About 10 minutes into that particular video, I start showing some simple drawing techniques using the Smart Spline Tool.

Another tutorial (Joe made) uses the Smart Spline Tool quite a lot. It's the one called CarveWright Software Tutorial - Modeling Patterns from a Tracing Image

Clint, I'm still wondering why your Smart Spline Tool isn't working. It is part of the 2D Drawing Suite add-on software and it should work perfectly in 1.187 on up. (I was using 1.187 when I created the above referenced video tutorial). As long as you have the license activated for your 2D Drawing Suite, it should be working for you. Perhaps a reboot of your computer might help? I don't know.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

As always Mike, thanks for the reminder about your lesson there in the Support section. On my list to watch this evening with a cold one in hand after I'm done playing with sharp objects for the day. Thanks again
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

The pen thing I can get by without, but I NEED the spline tool. I will recheck the tutorials on the pen thing.
    Clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Test Board.jpg  
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Thanks for posting this.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 08-02-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks again for your great Tutorial as a refresher Mike. It's amazing how quickly one can forget the fine points like the tangent intersection of nodes which was causing me the problems mentioned above. Some days I feel like I've forgotten more about this craft than I ever learned in the first place.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. I know what you mean...I use so many different software products, I sometimes start using procedures and shortcut keys that are for different programs. (For example, the mouse wheel zoom direction is opposite in Designer than some of my other software programs - "gets" me every time!)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast