Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craft show costs, your experience?

Default Craft show costs, your experience?

I'm just wondering what you guys that do it a lot, usually have to pay for craft shows. I recently did an event where I basically did business for two days and it cost me $150 for a 10x10 space. That was exactly what I brought in, so I lost money for the weekend by the time I paid for gas and a spot to park my camper. That seemed pretty expensive to me, most placed I have seen are like $30 for a day. I would appreciate some input.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

That was the same for me..... I was handling money but not making money... that is why I gave it up...

Lucky for me I found the Fire Market.... If you turn this post into a "OK.... How do YOU make money with the machine?" do tell....

I bet your going to find a few that are doing speciality stuff like Fly Boxes, Game Calls, Military....

And a few will keep the secret as to how they have 6 machines pumping out stuff making money....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

3. Default

I do 25 to 30 dollars a day shows and take a few big items and if one sells its a good day. Then I take about 20 simple to make easy to sell for $25 or less and that pays for the show. Things like sports clocks, religious items and crosses sell all day for $8 to 25$. You have to have small affordable stuff and then some higher priced items that may or may not sell. I also make money from orders and custom work that I get as a result of the show. I make $150 to $200 and it is not to pay the bills but to buy wood, and stuff for my hobby, I consider it a hobby not a business.

The thing that frustrates me is when people look at the stuff in my booth and say "wow that's so pretty, you do great work! This is only $20? that's reasonable"... then walk away. I mean if you like it and 20 bucks sounds reasonable, take it with you! I don't know... some have told me people just don't have money these days. I can only mark stuff down so far.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

I kind of give up on the craft shows I was paying $20.00 a weekend 10 hrs. of sitting and gas to the show and back home again. Did it for a 1 1\2 yrs. and wasn't making a dime, as you said they would look, and say your very talented and walk on I finally threw the towel in....I spent 12,000.00 to get the software 2 machines, bits and spare parts... and made $560.00 back in that amount of time I come to the conclusion that I'm not doing it no more the till economy picks up no one has any money for something they want it is being spent on things they need. I'm doing things now for what I think I might want..... I would like to have a penny for every time I got a compliment I would at least have money for wood..
    Last edited by aokweld101; 07-31-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I kind of give up on the craft shows I was paying $20.00 a weekend 10 hrs. of sitting and gas to the show and back home again. Did it for a 1 1\2 yrs. and wasn't making a dime, as you said they would look, and say your very talented and walk on I finally threw the towel in....I spent 12,000.00 to get the software 2 machines, bits and spare parts... and made $560.00 back in that amount of time I come to the conclusion that I'm not doing it no more the till economy picks up no one has any money for something they want it is being spent on things they need. I'm doing things now for what I think I might want..... I would like to have a penny for every time I got a compliment I would at least have money for wood..
    $12000.00? Did you put that decimal in the right place?
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

7. Default

I take it as a compliment whether they buy or not. I only offer a discount if they ask to buy more than one thing. I do not put actual prices on anything so if someone looks like they are going to buy I may try a higher price and then work down if I need to sweeten the deal. I can also go down to my base price right off the bat if they look only semi interested or seem budget conscious. Not pricing the items with price stickers allows me some flexibility. People who comment and not buy many times buy later or at another show.

twelve thousand..

9. Default

Wow I have three machines and centerline and pattern editor plus spare parts and barely touched three thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    twelve thousand..
    I don't think that was all to LHR...
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast