Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering selling machine

I've never bothered to carefully read the licence agreement... but it really comes down to how it is worded. If we are purchasing the software, then it almost certainly illegal to not allow us to sell or transfer the software. If on the other hand, we are only purchasing a license to use the software, then it really comes down to how the license is worded. In either case, until someone challenges it, it will probably just stay as is. As far as "industry standard practice" you definitely cant say that is true.. but I'm sure you can probably find a few examples out there of other companies doing it.
    Doug Fletcher

From the Terms and Conditions page http://www.carvewright.com/terms-and-conditions/:

Any software (Patterns, Pattern Collections, Projects, Subscriptions or Premium Features including Designer Upgrade or additional Designer licenses) that has been activated to a customer account, will not be refundable or transferable as the code is not retrievable from the customer account.

3. Default

The phrase, license agreement, is where they get you. Well, it is what it is. So all the hundreds of dollars of patterns I bought are not mine, I'm only leasing those. Hmmmm.

4. Default

consider buying your patterns from some of the other sellers many are members here and have their own websites. Those patterns are not locked and are yours. Just do not sell them to others or on ebay. Also there are some on here who will take commissions for creating patterns for you. If you pay someone to make a pattern for you then you own the pattern to do as you wish including reselling in most cases.

Some people around here are in favor of "urbanizing" our rural area (I am fighting it) because it will increase their property value. Well that only matters if you are planning to sell. I built this home for retirement and plan to die here (not too soon I hope) so it's resale value doesn't matter to me. I also plan to die with my 2 CarveWrignts and all the licensed software. The licensing only is a problem if you plan to sell.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I agree with Cestout. I never buy anything thinking of the resale value. When I buy it I plan on keeping it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    consider buying your patterns from some of the other sellers many are members here and have their own websites. Those patterns are not locked and are yours. Just do not sell them to others or on ebay. Also there are some on here who will take commissions for creating patterns for you. If you pay someone to make a pattern for you then you own the pattern to do as you wish including reselling in most cases.
    Let's look at this from the other direction. This is at least the way I see it:

Joe Pattern Maker creates a pattern and sells it through the Pattern Depot, where it is licensed and protected from being resold or given away (say, on an eBay disk). Each time his creation is purchased, he gets paid for it.

Now, consider, if you will...Joe Pattern Maker creates a pattern and sells it through his own site or takes a one time payment from a custom design. Now that pattern is free to anyone and Joe Pattern Maker has no way of protecting it from free distribution. He may never see another penny from his efforts.

Now to say "all the hundreds of dollars of patterns I bought are not mine" is not true...they are yours and yours to use as many times as you like, they are just not yours to sell or give away. They are Joe Pattern Makers to sell or give away.

Joe Pattern Vendor creates the pattern, uploads to website and they sit back and wait for a check.

Yes, LHR gets half of the cost of the patterns sold, but they host the website that gets THOUSANDS of visits per month, they do the advertising, they purchased the store software that displays them, they created the mechanism for insuring the creator gets compensated for their creation, they process all of the purchases, they do the accounting and process a commission check each month.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

8. Default

I agree for the pattern maker and seller it's a safer option although 50 50 split seems high. For the buyer not so good. I think a better solution is to tie licenses to a machine that way there's some value to the licenses and they still can't be sold on eBay or elsewhere.

9. Default

I would be interested in hearing from those who have sold on both their own websites and on the pattern depot. What they're opinion of selling each way is.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    I agree for the pattern maker and seller it's a safer option although 50 50 split seems high. For the buyer not so good. I think a better solution is to tie licenses to a machine that way there's some value to the licenses and they still can't be sold on eBay or elsewhere.
    So, if you sell an old A machine, because you just bought a new C machine, do the licenses go with the machine? Do you have to buy them all over again? Or do you both get to use them?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast