Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clay or wax - can they really be "probed"?

Default Clay or wax - can they really be "probed"?

Hello Pkunk,

I wonder if you have any connection with someone at CW to find out specifically what type of soft-material / clay or wax can be scanned with the probe?

Since CW so clearly states that as a feature in the probe's product description, I assume it has been done before. Maybe we're missing something that they could help us out with.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Hello,

I emailed CW and asked specifically what type of clay and wax they have tested successfully for use with the probe.

Hope to get a definitive answer soon so we can start enjoying making our own models from those "soft materials"!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Sorry, but I just haven't had time to try and call them. In my experience, it won't work at all well. If the probe scratches varnish & paint, breaks cured plaster, etc., it would gouge clay to the point of giving a very fuzzy scan. I won't waste my time trying.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Hello Pkunk,

I did get an answer from CW on the topic of scanning soft materials. Here's what they said...

"We have used fired clay and even when we did soft clay, it did leave small indentions, and sometimes left slight marks on plaster of paris. I do not have any brand names to give you (as our engineers do not remember exactly what they used) but I can tell you that it may leave slight impressions on softer objects.

The scanning probe will still give an accurate representation of the image even if it leaves slight impressions. The touch passes that it does are very slight- just enough to read the surface of the object. Its accuracy can go down to 1/500th of an inch. I hope this answers your questions, and if I can do anything else for you, please let me know."
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

From my experience, but try for yourself, the scratches left in the plaster showed up on the scan. It would I assume be more pronounced in soft clay. I have those cabinet door carvings that I can't continue to scan because it ruins the paint.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

If I wanted to reproduce some varnished hardwood carvings would it damage the original?
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gman_Ind View Post
    If I wanted to reproduce some varnished hardwood carvings would it damage the original?
    Not the wood but the varnish.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default Yes , The same here.

I scanned an item,made a quick sled of from cherry shelving(plywood)and it had a laquer finish and all around he plastic part I scanned it woked over the finish, so if you have to scan something for a customer or is good be prepared touch up ud and shoot another top coat on.
    Ben

Hello Benluz,

To avoid uneccessary scanning/probing/scratching the surface of the sled, you can manually set the maximum depth to a depth j-u-s-t barely shy of the sled surface.

I'm sure you have noticed a lot of "chattering" of the probe tip as it scoots along the sled surface. You can avoid that by setting the probe to miss the sled surface.

I elaborated on how to do this at the following post:
    http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...39&postcount=3
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Default I might try that

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello Benluz,

To avoid uneccessary scanning/probing/scratching the surface of the sled, you can manually set the maximum depth to a depth j-u-s-t barely shy of the sled surface.

I'm sure you have noticed a lot of "chattering" of the probe tip as it scoots along the sled surface. You can avoid that by setting the probe to miss the sled surface.

I elaborated on how to do this at the following post:
    http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...39&postcount=3
    although the part I scanned was fine it was just the sled it scratched ,but if I do riase the probe that should result in less pressure on the scanned object.
    Thanks !
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast