Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some opinions - I'm thinking of making a flex shaft temperature monitor

Cool Need some opinions - I'm thinking of making a flex shaft temperature monitor

I threatened to do this in another thread and reckon I'm going to do it sometime soon. I'm going to use a little Arduino microprocessor to monitor the temperature of the flex shaft and make a loud and annoying sound if it exceeds some temperature (that temperature is to be determined.)

I'm looking for opinions on attaching the temperature sensor to the flex shaft. The sensor is a tiny little transistor-looking thing and I'm thinking of using a little piece of duct tape or similar to hold it on the shaft.

Think that will cause any problems with the shaft? I can't see how as long as I don't wrap the tape to some ungodly tightness. And I may put more than one one, not to mention monitor room temperature and humidity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DS18B20__39234.1405330136.1280.1280.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	70737

Maybe some hot glue??
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Maybe some hot glue??
    Good idea! I very recently got a hot glue gun and never think to use it.

I can even have the sensor reading the temp when I glue it LOL.

I've thought of doing this too. You can purchase digital thermometers with temp probes and alarm settings at whatever temp you want; no need to build one. But frankly if the flex is sound and properly lubricated, it runs cool to the touch, and an alarm is really not necessary. But if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I've thought of doing this too. You can purchase digital thermometers with temp probes and alarm settings at whatever temp you want; no need to build one. But frankly if the flex is sound and properly lubricated, it runs cool to the touch, and an alarm is really not necessary. But if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.
    DickB, where might you find one of those digital thermometers with temp. probe and alarm?
    George

Bear in mind if the shaft overheats, it could soften the hot glue enough so the sensor falls off. To monitor heating pipes, I have attached thermostatic probes with simple zip ties. This also ensures good coupling between the sensor and the heat source, which would be tougher to do with any glues. With the tiny zip ties, there should be no issue crushing the shaft casing yet it will hold the sensor securely.

You can get cheap-ish grill/kitchen thermometers which have settable alarm settings.
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-TruTemp.../dp/B0001BFJ54

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Those little beepy alarms would never be loud enough. I have one for smoking and there's no way it would be as loud as what I have in mind. I may take the beeper out of a smoke detector.

As far as running cool to the touch, well, that's why I want to build this. I'd just as soon not have to check the damned thing every 15 minutes.

/looking for opinions about mounting it

I thought the same thing about hot glue. When the temp got pretty warm would re-melt the glue and fall off. Maybe also connect to flashing light for a warning system along with loud audible distracting noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoken D View Post
    I thought the same thing about hot glue. When the temp got pretty warm would re-melt the glue and fall off. Maybe also connect to flashing light for a warning system along with loud audible distracting noise.
    I just read up on the temperature where hot glue melts. If the article is correct it melts around 300F, and that's for low temp hot glue. Did you try this and have the glue actually melt?

I like the flashing light idea a lot. If I go hog wild on this It is conceivable I could have it send a text to my phone as well lol. I'm channeling my inner mad scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    I just read up on the temperature where hot glue melts. If the article is correct it melts around 300F, and that's for low temp hot glue. Did you try this and have the glue actually melt?

I like the flashing light idea a lot. If I go hog wild on this It is conceivable I could have it send a text to my phone as well lol. I'm channeling my inner mad scientist.

This may work for you and it does not bust the bank either.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-D111...rature+monitor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast