Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flexshaft outer sheath disintegrated

One of the main things is to make sure of is that the core is free floating. Make sure each end slides easily into the square holes. Sometimes the motor end needs a clean out.

Quote Originally Posted by sunmiztres View Post
    I too am having the same problem. I had a flexshaft that melted all the plastic off. Never had a problem with 25 plus hours. I then bought a new one, installed it and after 2 hours the thing gets extremely hot right in the middle of the shaft. Right where the wire bends. IT is a brand spanking new Flexshaft so it should not need to be lubed but I also bought the lube for it from Carvewright when I bought the flexshaft so I gave it a good lube and let it drip over night and the same thing happens. Within a couple minutes the middle gets so hot that it begins to melt the plastic covering. Only in the middle. I did the troubleshooting for this problem by following the troubleshooting tips for over heated or melted flexshafts but it still persists. I need to find out why it is happening because I can't shell out another 75$ for another new one. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You
    WOW.... That is not good... I am at a loss to suggest something to help... IS the cut motor cutting in the correct direction? Hold a bit between your fingers and rotate it and feel the way that chips are pulled up and out of the board. Then observe the bit with the motor starting and stopping is the motor turning the correct way.... Just a WAG... Wild AL Guess...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    WOW.... That is not good... I am at a loss to suggest something to help... IS the cut motor cutting in the correct direction? Hold a bit between your fingers and rotate it and feel the way that chips are pulled up and out of the board. Then observe the bit with the motor starting and stopping is the motor turning the correct way.... Just a WAG... Wild AL Guess...

AL
    The core is free floating from what I can feel by inserting andmoving the core. Never have a problem inserting it into the ends. The only thing I can think of is the core is grinding in the middle where the shaft gets so hot that it wants to melt the rubber. IS it metal on metal in the shaft that the core can move to the point it hits metal and grind? Of course I can't hear it grind since the motor is loud. If the core is somehow hitting the metal in the middle where it gets hot do you think adding any tape or certain grease will keep the friction down to avoid getting so hot? I still wish I knew why it started to begin with. Since it is a new flex shaft I am thinking the problem must be elsewhere but have gone through the troubleshooting for why it may be happening and everything looks right.

Have you tried flipping the core end for end? I am thinking that even though you say it is free floating, maybe one of the ends "creeps" out of its slot under the torque and vibration. That is, maybe the core gets compressed when it spins up. If there was, for example, a slight twist in one end, it might ride up the slot. Flipping it might fix it. (Just something easy to try.)

I think that there is a mystery here as to why some flexes heat up and others run cool. I wish I had a bad one to experiment with.

5. Default

Have you inspected the spring inside the flexshaft. There has been no mention of it. It does have one correct? Is it straight and not warped or bent?

The spring looks great. No bend or warping which makes it even more weird since the core gets so hot to melt the rubber but no heat markings on the spring which is right next to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    Have you inspected the spring inside the flexshaft. There has been no mention of it. It does have one correct? Is it straight and not warped or bent?
    I did try to change the core end for end but can't get the end that is in the spindle to engage in the motor. I will give that a shot again. Might be where the problem lies if both ends are suppose to go in both sides easily.

8. Default

Sometimes you have to turn it a little to get it to engage but it should go in fairly easy. You may need to inspect the end of your flex shaft and see if it has been worn or rounded off. And you may need to inspect the female end into the motor and see if it is worn or rounded off as well. This could easily be your problem. If the flex shaft is not fully inserted into either end it makes the shaft longer with in the sheath then it is supposed to be and creates heat in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    Sometimes you have to turn it a little to get it to engage but it should go in fairly easy. You may need to inspect the end of your flex shaft and see if it has been worn or rounded off. And you may need to inspect the female end into the motor and see if it is worn or rounded off as well. This could easily be your problem. If the flex shaft is not fully inserted into either end it makes the shaft longer with in the sheath then it is supposed to be and creates heat in the center.
    I did this again and it went in fairly easy. I did a 45 minute carve and the middle was the hottest part but not to the point of melting. How hot is normal. I have noticed when I put a decorative edge to the piece that is when the core gets the hottest.Still feel as though it is not "right" Feel like I need to be there when carving all the time to make sure a fire does not start or another ruined flex-shaft.

We suggest you do NOT leave machine unattended while it's running.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast