Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flexshaft outer sheath disintegrated

I said this today in another post: I have had 3 A machines then a B and added a C and have NEVER had shaft heating problems. After the 3rd lube with Lubraplate 930AA they barely even get warm.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I've had the new flexshaft installed for three weeks now and it melted. All the instructions online were followed, but the shaft started running hot after the first week. Sometime in the second week it started whining like a dry bearing so I took out the core and lubed it--following the instructional video. It worked great, no whining, no overheating, but Thursday night I went out to change the bit only to discover the outer sheath was melted and smoking. I contacted LHR to see if the new flexshaft was under warranty only to be told that the second malfunction was my fault. I sent an e-mail detailing how I installed the new shaft and no response (it's been three business days). Yesterday I left a nasty note on their Facebook page, but no response.
    Now my questions: Have we been duped into believing the LHR is a reputable company that will take care of its customers? Did I buy a Carvewright, all the bits, all the accessories except third-party stuff, and waste all that money? If I've wasted my money on a Carvewright boat anchor I'll be sure that all my woodworking friends don't make a similar mistake.

I used the stuff LHR sells to make sure that the warranty isn't voided. That was the wrong thing to do...no warranty on a new flexshaft.

Mr. Flournoy:

You sent an email Thursday night at 8:41 PM, I responded to you by 10:00 AM the next morning. Your replied to me at 1:43 PM that Friday afternoon and I responded to you at 2:37 PM. All four of these exchanges are on the same email, so I'm not sure what you mean by saying you've gone 3 days without a response. You have also stated that you have lubricated that flexshaft two times already, since you received it (already newly lubricated). I've asked you to check the top hat for excess oil in your bearing and warned that over-lubrication can be just as bad as none. You might can order another flexshaft, but my guess is it will melt too until we address the possibility of over-lubrication.

As for your "nasty note" on Facebook, that is a site where we promote the machine and as the owners of the page, have the right to monitor it's contents. Any troubleshooting issues can be dealt with in the forum or via email.

I understand you are frustrated with having melted another one, but you CANNOT just throw more lubricant at any flexshaft issue. Clearly from the troubleshooting steps online, lubricating is one of the last options.
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 08-12-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Your machine was purchased Jan 2013 and I understand you may have a very good reason for not using it for 1.5 years, but the flexshaft may have needed to be lubricated after sitting for so long and why it melted.

This second one has me concerned that it has now been lubricated 3 times. I have no way of knowing exactly why it melted. The spring could have been pitched one of the times it was taken out or put back in. One end may have not been fully engaged when you put it back in the last time.

I also need to remind you and others, do not leave the machine carving for 10 hours or even 1 hour. You need to monitor it.

I'm not sure why you think I lubricated the shaft three times. If you read my e-mail it says "I checked" not "I lubricated" when I received it. Then after it started whining I lubricated it. This was after I made sure it was properly installed and everything was as it should have been.
    As for the e-mails, I responded to your last e-mail on 8 Aug to tell you that there was no oil in the top hat and have received no response.
    Since I went all-in when I bought the Carvewright, i.e. bought all the software, all the bits including the router bits, and now the rotary jig, I was hoping that you would see fit to warranty the second flexshaft rather than forcing me to buy a third one.

I never received another email after the one at 1:43 PM.

I did not mean YOU lubricated three times. LHR lubricated before shipping and from your statement of "including making sure the core was lubricated" led me to believe you re-lubricated it and then lubricated it, again prior to the last carve. LHR once, you twice - three times.

I would love to be able to tell you EXACTLY why it melted, so that we can avoid it in the future. However, I can only speculate from what you have told me.

The flexshaft is not a warranted item.

FYI...I posted this under "Flex Shaft Melt Down" maybe two years ago(?) and others subsequently have posted the same issue...Same problem...outer sheath melted right off of the flex shaft, disassembled it, lubed it and put it back together....mine has been working well and cool since...about 100+ hours with 2-3 lubes and no further problem...my new flex shaft sits on the shelf and stands by should I ever need it. Is it possible the plastic sheath is the problem???

Just my 2c worth.

After 2 years, make sure you lube it before using.

I too am having the same problem. I had a flexshaft that melted all the plastic off. Never had a problem with 25 plus hours. I then bought a new one, installed it and after 2 hours the thing gets extremely hot right in the middle of the shaft. Right where the wire bends. IT is a brand spanking new Flexshaft so it should not need to be lubed but I also bought the lube for it from Carvewright when I bought the flexshaft so I gave it a good lube and let it drip over night and the same thing happens. Within a couple minutes the middle gets so hot that it begins to melt the plastic covering. Only in the middle. I did the troubleshooting for this problem by following the troubleshooting tips for over heated or melted flexshafts but it still persists. I need to find out why it is happening because I can't shell out another 75$ for another new one. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast