Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flexshaft outer sheath disintegrated

1. Default

On 6 ,7 or 10 hour carves its just not possible, heck on 2 hour carves I can't stay in the shop watching it. Some people put a smoke detector in the shop to help alert when there is a problem. Some even put baby monitors. As far as how hot. It seems to average about 85 degrees. You can get a cheap infrared thermometer from harbor freight. However, most just touch it and can tell when its getting too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    On 6 ,7 or 10 hour carves its just not possible, heck on 2 hour carves I can't stay in the shop watching it. Some people put a smoke detector in the shop to help alert when there is a problem. Some even put baby monitors. As far as how hot. It seems to average about 85 degrees. You can get a cheap infrared thermometer from harbor freight. However, most just touch it and can tell when its getting too hot.

6 hour carve!!??? There is no way this machine will last long enough to get a 6 hour carve. I have to baby the heck out of mine to get one hour from it. I have to stop it every 15 min to clear the dust or I get a failure. The second to last carve I went upstairs to have a snack and it sounded as if it was very bogged down. By the time I got back down to it, the board was on fire with a y-axis stall message. I cleaned everything up put in a new bit ($45) and a new board ($10). At 15 minuets everything seemed ok. Then when I resumed the carve after a vacuum the flexshaft was making noise and getting hot. Rather than stop the carve I paused every few min to let the shaft cool. So now it looks like I need a new flexshaft ($90). Will try to lube it first but reading everything here I will need a spare for it even if lubing does save it temporarily. So my one hour carve cost me $145 in parts.

What are you using to lube the shaft? I use the stuff LHR sells and it has been well over 200 hours since I last lubed it and it just barely gets warm. It sound like you do not have a dust collector? That is a must for this machine I don't think it is causing your flex shaft problem but it will definitely cause a host of others.

Quote Originally Posted by widget223 View Post
    6 hour carve!!??? There is no way this machine will last long enough to get a 6 hour carve. I have to baby the heck out of mine to get one hour from it. I have to stop it every 15 min to clear the dust or I get a failure. The second to last carve I went upstairs to have a snack and it sounded as if it was very bogged down. By the time I got back down to it, the board was on fire with a y-axis stall message. I cleaned everything up put in a new bit ($45) and a new board ($10). At 15 minuets everything seemed ok. Then when I resumed the carve after a vacuum the flexshaft was making noise and getting hot. Rather than stop the carve I paused every few min to let the shaft cool. So now it looks like I need a new flexshaft ($90). Will try to lube it first but reading everything here I will need a spare for it even if lubing does save it temporarily. So my one hour carve cost me $145 in parts.
    6 hour carves are a walk in the park if you have dust collection set up.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have a pvc tube that has a cap glued on one end and another fit loose on the other end. I put the flex shaft in the tube, fill with lube, cap, and let it sit over night. I also have a magnet made up with a hook on it the remove the flex shaft from the tube and hang it to dry. Works great, shaft stays well lubed. I do long time carves all the time and all works well.

I always suggest an old plastic coffee container with lid. That way the flexshaft is curled. Important because it is a penetrating lubricant. The curve allows the lubricant to get inside the core. Then you just put the lid on the coffee container and reuse later.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by widget223 View Post
    6 hour carves absolutely are possible.
    Dust collection!
    No vacuuming during a carve!
    New flexshaft comes pre-lubricated.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234