Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I make text follow a path?

I think that you could use text in PhotoShop and shape it however you want. Rasterize it and save it with a transparent background as a .PNG file Then import as you would any graphic or photo and scale to your needs. I've done this several times before upgrading to Designer 3 which is much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    I think it is more of a case of you needing to catch up with Designer..
    I'll be more agreeable to this after you offer an integrated pocket cut....And that also doesn't cost me $199.

It's not an $199 add-on. It's Designer Pro upgrade and currently on sale for 20% off.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Hey. Well I was all set to buy the DXF importer when you hit us with those upgrade prices. Threw me for a loop. Couldn't make up my mind what I was going to do.
    Give me a few. I've just now bought the 2D Vector module... Can't buy it all at once...
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

I totally understand not being able to get everything at once and folks working off of a budget.

It is the potshots you keep taking at LHR that I don't understand.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

(I'm hoping you don't delete this or censor me, because I think I have something important to say to LHR.)

First off, you'll have to be patient with me. I'm a bit of a curmudgeon and a puddleglum. The critical attitude comes from being a perfectionist and wanting everything to be exactly right... I'll take responsibility for that. My sincere apologies. I'll try to be more constructive...

That being said, I'm used to using *Brand Name Omitted- (but it's $10K per seat)* where all this stuff I wish(ed) for in Designer is standard issue. And your nearest competitor in price (Brand Name also omitted, but it's only $2K per seat) is just as good as the more expensive brand.
    So when I look at the capabilities of Designer that are finally catching up to these packages, (for the same price or more as your nearest competitor) which have had these capabilities for years, I'm disappointed. I can't lie about that.

Potshots aside....

I am happy that LHR is continuing to make improvements in the software, and hope to upgrade my licenses to eventually have all the modules. I'm also happy that LHR has taken steps to improve their machine in their most critical failures - ie, heavy duty X axis belts, solid chuck, and dust collection (albeit 3rd party). You guys took a pounding in purchaser reviews for so long that I think you're still fighting that negative press even today when those corrections have been made for quite some time. It is HARD to overcome that initial bad press. (Just ask Cabinet Vision.*) You might be glad to know that I defend you to other CNC users... So keep up the good work!

I am happy with my second hand machine with it's improvements, and note that it's a unique tool that outclasses, in my opinion any other desktop machine in it's class. Why? Because your X axis is nearly unlimited... No other CNC router has this capability. At least, not that I'm aware of.

I'd still like to see LHR get out of the proprietary market though, and distribute their software for use on other machines, and open their machines to other software. I think this limits you to a market that is much too small.

*By the way, I'm a staunch defender of Cabinet Vision also. They had some really bad issues with their software and support mechanism about 12 years ago, and were fighting a lot of negative press. But today they have a top of the line product, and they have the best program manager and support mechanisms of ANY software that I use, bar NONE. And yes, I (and many others) have been quite critical of their software too. But the thing is? They listened to us and made the improvements necessary to gain back power-users trust. THAT is the key. Take your most critical users and address the issues they complain about. THAT will gain customer respect.
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

I am working on a budget and sometimes I need text that is warped or follows a path.
    I do it one of two ways. I either create my text to path with my desktop publisher and export it as a raster image.
    Or if I need it carved with centerline I export it as a png and import that into a font. The entire text becomes a dingbat and I can then use the centerline module to carve it.
    Eventually I will get the modules I need but for now this is a work around.
    Importing graphics to a font has been a godsend for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custom.PNG 
Views:	44 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	77696
    If you do not cave centerline you can import as a pattern and trace the outside edges. At least then you have outlined text

Hi Carl,

Would you be so kind to explain the details of how you "import graphics to a font"? I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested in your procedure (software used, step-by-step).

Thanks in advance!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I use a software called SigMaker 3. it is free and can import glyphs to any TTF font. It is very straight forward. I found the only real issue is if the glyph has too many lines.
    You can import most simple line art like logos etc.
    I tend to install the new fonts on a short term basis only, They can quickly clutter your font directory. The only drawback of the free version of this software is it only imports one glyph at a time.

Thank you very much for the additional info, Carl! Good stuff.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123