Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressed roller

Default Compressed roller

I keep getting back compressed error,i have tried blowing out the contact (rubber washer) and wd40 but it is still compressed.i know there is awire contacts on the left side by the keyboard but can not find any instructions on how to access them.anyone have any suggestions?

See my pictures in the other post. Use caution removing the keypad side as you can rip the keypad wires.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

thanks for the input.I'll try that when I get home.

The WD40 in there concerns me. There is a micro switch in there and it could be damaged.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Hi Clint,

I noticed your statement of concern about WD-40 for use on the micro switches. I've not used it for cleaning the tracking roller switches (good doses of compressed air have worked just fine for (for me) clearing a stuck roller issue...maybe three or four times in seven years).

However, I HAVE used WD-40 for cleaning the micro switches on the cover. I still have the original cover switches on both my active machines. I've had to clear the right cover switch several times over the last seven years too. (I don't recall ever having had trouble with the left cover switch, but at times, I've squirted in WD-40 and air just as a so-called "preventative" measure when cleaning the right switch). I start with compressed air while pushing the switch in/out with a small dowel. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll spray generously with WD-40, work it in/out some more, blow with air and that has always cleared the problem (dust? on the contacts...or maybe slight corrosion?...I don't know).

What is it about the WD-40 that we should be aware of that might damage the micro switches? I know it's a petroleum-based product, but have no idea if it can degrade plastic or rubber components of the CW. (I'm sure it won't hurt metal surfaces/contacts.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

(I originally PM'd, but maybe you don't see those...decided it would be more helpful to others to post here anyway!)
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-13-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I loosened the screws and blew out the area with air,check the display and it said the roller was released.It was too lae to try a carve last night so I hope that fixed the problem.thanks everyone for the input

My thoughts on WD-40 having lived next to a WD-40 Engineer in San Diego and we had a great conversation about WD-40.... WD-40 is a silicone base lubricant that is really "Water Displacement" the 40th formula they tried... In my opinion it is OK for switches as long as the switch has a wiping type contact to clear away the silicion. The Pad Contact Switches more like relays could have a build up of dry silicon. I wouild not use it in a 115 volt switch but for the Cut Motor Return Path cover Swith I believe it will be OK.

The fear about spray "Stuff" for cleaning switches is really more about the "Stuff"... Using Carburator Cleaner Spray Solvent on a Electrical Switch likely would cause the switch plastic to melt.... Cleaner is cleaner.... right.... well in that case...no... They do make Electrical Contact cleaner that is usually a Liquid that Evaporates very quickly and the contacts get clean of burnt carbon from arcing or lubricant and evaporates quickly. Radio Shack is the best place to get the good stuff... and the can will likely contain a warning that the cleaner can discolor plastic....

BACK to WD-40... My concern about WD-40 is that the use in the machine could eventually get on the surface of the board and when you go to finish the wood the Silicon in the WD-40 makes FISH EYES where the stain or finish won't soak into the wood.... At the Sony Picture Tube plant where we made picture tubes in the mid 90's WD-40 and all silicon was banned from the property. Airborn Silicone during a maintenance shutdown once cause thousands of Defect Picture tubes as the Coatings on the inside of the Glass Picture tubes had Fish Eyes.... A Contractor sprayed down a conveyor chain....

YES, you can use WD-40 on the machine... Just be aware of overspray....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Yes - I don't use silicon around wood for the reasons you cited. Here's some info on WD-40 from the manufacturer (there is no silicon in regular WD-40, but I already knew that):

What does WD-40 Multi-Use Product contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 Multi-Use Product are secret, we can tell you what it does NOT contain. WD-40 Multi-Use Product does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, graphite, or chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

here's a link to the FAQ on WD-40: http://wd40.com/faqs/#a92
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I stand Corrected.... I need to quit talking to Neighbor Engineers when Drinking.... LOL...

Thanks !!!!

AL

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    ... I need to quit talking to Neighbor Engineers when Drinking.... LOL...

Thanks !!!!

AL
    What??? You drink?? (Don't drink the WD-40...makes your insides too slick.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast