Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Designer 3.0 costs what?

Throw me under the bus...that is what I thought, but who am I? I don't have access to check if I did or did not say it. Either way, I don't make those decisions.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Well said Mazing!

Cause we resolve our issue here on the forum one way or another... BUT,,, You guyz couldn't have told me to wait a couple weeks ??? Yeah Just a couple weeks .... What kind of customer service is that ?? Full well knowing that your releasing a new version but you still sold me the out dated version ... And we had several e-mail exchanges and phone calls during that time !!!! I would never do something like this to one of my customers... If I got new and better material coming in ,, I would tell em and let em know ... And offer a good discount if I was using the older material if they couldn't wait ...

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Seriously, Kevin? We have an A+ rating on BBB and that is 4 complaints in the last 3 years. 3 were settled or dismissed.
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Just trying to remind Joe where it came from a representative of LHR. Sorry but that is why I was waiting and not upgrading to latest and greatest. I'm sure others have waited also.

Jeff

Joe said "Designer 2 will not become the free basic version. That was not promised by LHR. It was discussed by other members of the forum, but not confirmed or guaranteed by LHR."

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Throw me under the bus...that is what I thought, but who am I? I don't have access to check if I did or did not say it. Either way, I don't make those decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    "If a bug is critical enough it may be fixed on a previous version."

Yes, Connie he did. I just wasn't happy with the word "may" in his response so I thought I would try again. I would also like to know what "critical enough" may imply.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...post-to-report discusses many of the concerns with 1.187 not being updated after 2.0 was released. Most of the issues were passed off as expected behavior or "needs attention", and assuming nothing has changed LHR will put 99.9% of it's attention on 3.x. So if designer can open and load a project onto the card, I'm guessing the problem is not critical enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jlovchik View Post
    Don't be fooled by anyone stating an open loop stepper motor system is anything but an erector set with 1970's tech.
    I was gonna sit on the sidelines for this one but now I can't help myself. Now I've been a reasonably satisfied Carvewright owner for a number of years now and do appreciate it's capabilities but am pretty aware of its limitations as well. It's biggest advantage is it's size and that's the primary reason I have it rather than the "70's Tech". It does have capabilities that can't be had with this so called "70's Tech" such as rotary carving and carving of very long boards. But how do I reconcile the fact that a friend bought some 70's tech a year ago and spend $5k including accessories and a brand new laptop to run it and he has not spent a dime (other than bits) for maintenance while putting nearly 5000 hours on his machine while I've spent over $500 replacing one broken part after another while running less than 100 hours of machine time. The software, while not modular, that came with it provides all of the capabilities (other than rotary) that I would have if I bought all of the Carvewright add ons. So in the end the cost gap is not as wide as you would like to think it is and a machine with a moving x-axis just cannot meet the reliability and accuracy of this "70's Tech". And every time he shows me something new he designed I say darn, I have to buy a software upgrade to do that. So yes, Carvewright has to make money to stay in business and they provide a very capable niche product that meets my needs and the pricing is what it is. LHR should be proud of the product they have developed, however, to preach that the cost and capability differential between Carvewright and the next option is that big is misleading at best. And I still can't get over the fact that if I spend $300 to upgrade to 3.0 it still will not be able to do a pocket cut without spending half an hour drawing vector paths.

Quote Originally Posted by ktjwilliams View Post
    Cause we resolve our issue here on the forum one way or another... BUT,,, You guyz couldn't have told me to wait a couple weeks ??? Yeah Just a couple weeks .... What kind of customer service is that ?? Full well knowing that your releasing a new version but you still sold me the out dated version ... And we had several e-mail exchanges and phone calls during that time !!!! I would never do something like this to one of my customers... If I got new and better material coming in ,, I would tell em and let em know ... And offer a good discount if I was using the older material if they couldn't wait ...
    If you look at it this way, 1.xx users are paying $300 for 3.0 with no 2.xx
    You payed $200 for 2.xx and will pay $200 for 3.0
    so for them to have what you have it would cost them $500
    It only cost you $400

Brent
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by blhutchens View Post
    If you look at it this way, 1.xx users are paying $300 for 3.0 with no 2.xx
    You payed $200 for 2.xx and will pay $200 for 3.0
    so for them to have what you have it would cost them $500
    It only cost you $400

Brent
    That would only be true if those of us still using 1.187 had to purchase V2 and V3 to get all of the features. But if we just pay $300 for V3 we have all the features in V2 as well for $300.

Minus a potential years worth of use.

$200 spent in July 2013 = 1 year of use and
    $200 in July 2014 = 2 years of use for $400 compared to
    $300 in July 2014 = 1 year of use for $300.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

"If a bug is critical enough it may be fixed on a previous version."

Yes, Connie he did. I just wasn't happy with the word "may" in his response so I thought I would try again. I would also like to know what "critical enough" may imply.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...post-to-report discusses many of the concerns with 1.187 not being updated after 2.0 was released. Most of the issues were passed off as expected behavior or "needs attention", and assuming nothing has changed LHR will put 99.9% of it's attention on 3.x. So if designer can open and load a project onto the card, I'm guessing the problem is not critical enough.

I am not worried about the $100, $200, ... that the new S/W costs. Or if it is "fair" to the owners of 1.xxx or 2.xxx. I can buy it or not as I choose and the manufacturer my charge as much as they like. I am concerned that the S/W I have purchased continues to do what it has been advertised that it will do. AND that it is supported in the event we find it does not. I have never in my life (82 years) seen bug free S/W, no matter what Joe states.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast