Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Designer 3.0 costs what?

Luceo non uro "I shine, not burn"
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I like to say some positive things about the software coming off a 3D background.

Since 2.0 I been trying to focus on building in Designer and not the more expensive 3D tools like Maya overall I can say that the software is one of the most powerful tools I used. Just the fact that the software makes smooth fillets is amazing. The STL exporter works well with Lightwave and zBrush and the finished objects are Cam ready. it just gets better and more powerful as they add options. The firmware gets better and better, I can not remember the last time I wasted a good piece of wood due to a z plunge so hats off to Metaulls for a outstanding job! with the programing Department team members.

Is the software 100% perfect? No software is but we are able to let our imagination fly without to much pain.

Here is a small example what can be done with 2.0 and 3.0 from a rapid prototype point of view.

One job could make all the upgrades logical.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackX.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	70412
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quad51ce23.jpg   Quadom03.jpg  
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-05-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ktjwilliams View Post
    Cause we resolve our issue here on the forum one way or another... BUT,,, You guyz couldn't have told me to wait a couple weeks ??? Yeah Just a couple weeks .... What kind of customer service is that ?? Full well knowing that your releasing a new version but you still sold me the out dated version ... And we had several e-mail exchanges and phone calls during that time !!!! I would never do something like this to one of my customers... If I got new and better material coming in ,, I would tell em and let em know ... And offer a good discount if I was using the older material if they couldn't wait ...
    This seems to be the stinging point on this whole subject. Not the price but the fact that a simple mention of the new version coming just around the corner would possibly be the better upgrade path.

Maybe we all learned something here. Upgrade early and not near the conference date would be the lesson for the CW owner. For LHR, maybe an announcement can be made that also lets users know when the new version is near release. That seems like a gesture that should have been made in this case and one I would make to a customer of mine if I knew it would save them a little money but still make me money in the end. I can see how one would feel taken advantage of based on the supposed events in the quoted message above.
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    This seems to be the stinging point on this whole subject. Not the price but the fact that a simple mention of the new version coming just around the corner would possibly be the better upgrade path.

Maybe we all learned something here. Upgrade early and not near the conference date would be the lesson for the CW owner. For LHR, maybe an announcement can be made that also lets users know when the new version is near release. That seems like a gesture that should have been made in this case and one I would make to a customer of mine if I knew it would save them a little money but still make me money in the end. I can see how one would feel taken advantage of based on the supposed events in the quoted message above.
    Seems to me there are CW users that would not and did not buy version 2 because of the cost. Those same users will probably not buy V3 either, for the same reason. If LHR had put V2 on sale (a good sale) a couple of weeks before V3 release some of those lost sales could have been salvaged generating more income. Those new buyers, knowing what the deal was, would feel like they got a good deal and not like they were being taken advantage of. Most of this issue could have been avoided and maybe more income made.
    Again.... just thinking out loud.

It had its lowest price in may. $170
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

In my humble opinion, most of the underlying issues here about new versions and add-ons is really about principles. To me, it's really simple. If you want to "shoot yourself in the foot" to make a point then by all means don't buy anything. I found out, a reasonably short time ago, that whining about the cost and/or whether it really should be free will only change how you are perceived. It's very clear that LHR has thought this through and will not change their policy because of a few complainers. Of course, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-06-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Seems to me there are CW users that would not and did not buy version 2 because of the cost. Those same users will probably not buy V3 either, for the same reason. If LHR had put V2 on sale (a good sale) a couple of weeks before V3 release some of those lost sales could have been salvaged generating more income. Those new buyers, knowing what the deal was, would feel like they got a good deal and not like they were being taken advantage of. Most of this issue could have been avoided and maybe more income made.
    Again.... just thinking out loud.
    At times I believe 2 went on sale from $200 to $180 and in May went down to $170. That was when I had the funds and purchased 2. If I had known 3 was coming out a month later I would have waited and paid $300 for the upgrade. Now, it will have cost me an additional $200. I think that is what some are concerned about. Some of us just spent $170 and now have to spend another $200 for the 3 upgrade instead of being advised of an upcoming new feature that would have saved us a few bucks. But, as I said before, that is business for some companies.
    I am a re-loader and have a Dillon loader. This small company has a NO BS Warranty. My machine is over 20 years old and if a spring breaks I call Dillon and immediately a new spring is on the way and no cost to me which includes shipping. That company is making millions off its machines.

Anyway………
    Good Product
    Good Support
    Good Development Team

Buy designer upgrades in July!!!!!
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Well before this gets locked down, I just got 2.0 as well in May, but will wait until 4.0 comes out for my next designer up grade unless LHR runs a special for 2.0 owners to upgrade for $100 bucks (Gets LHR the $300 asking price in the long run). I would be all over it right now, but not going worry whether or not the do or they don't.

Just take it all in stride and hopefully no ones blows a head gasket over it. I am still learning/ getting caught up with all that 2.0 can do, once that is master the rest will be easy. I think I spent my money wisely for where I am at with my Carvewright machines.

I would just say this - Go out and look at the cost of other CNC software, let alone the cost of CNC machines. Carvewright is still the best bang for the buck with all that you can achieve with it.

I like tater tots.

/My default reply to heated threads anywhere
    //And seriously, who doesn't like tater tots?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast