Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Designer 3.0 and Vector Grouping feature

Can't swear to this as I'm still waiting for my Ver 3 license. You are on the right path to get the vector lines as you illustrated using outline. Each dotted line would then become a vector and you can assign a V Bit (60 or 90 degree) and save the design. Since all are vector lines you should be able to size the whole thing to what you want.

Designer 2.007 will carve them as single lines centered on your pattern's lines at the single depth you specify and that will determine their width. With new Designer Ver 3 Vector Carving feature you would be able to click the individual groups or closed vector shapes and the bit will carve to the width and depth of that space or line. If the line or area exceeds the max carving diameter of your V Bit I think it will resort to following the outline of the vector shape but not do the center area that exceeds that diameter.

Again, others who have worked more with it will probably give you a more fact based answer.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

OK.. Call me stupid but I have a question..

After a vector group is made and bit selection, etc is finished.. How do you go back to the vector group window to change things if you don't like the actual appearance? Is there a way to change a 'Vector Group' back to a normal path?

Thanks,
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Suggestions for Vector Group feature:

1 - have a way to change a Vector Group back to a normal path without having to use 'Undo'.
    2 - Have a way to edit the properties of a Vector Group after you have pressed the 'OK' in the dialog box.
    3 - Have a way to adjust the bit depth. I could not find this.
    4 - Disable (ghost/gray out) in the drop down menus, any puffing, etc. after a vector group is established as these features are no longer available to these groups. I can select them now to a vector group and go to the requester where it is ghosted out but is should be done in the drop down menus and not be able to be selected in the first place.

Added: I just found that if I select a closed vector and hit the cutout button there is no 'Cancel' button on the dialog box. To get out you have to press 'Accept' then 'Undo' the operation. Is this normal? I just tested this with a Windows version and it does not have a 'Cancel' either but it DOES have a close dialog/window button in the upper right corner. If the Mac version had this same feature that would solve the issue.

Added-2: If I place a simple closed circle and make it a vector group it displays correctly. If I select that group and 'Delete' it the drawing line disappears but the carving on the board remains. If I do the same thing but instead assign a 90 degree V-Bit it shows the board with the carving. When I select and delete it the carving on the board goes away as it should.

I work with vectors a good bit and simulating chip carving is a great add-on. These changes are not suggested to be critical but to help with the software. If I am missing something please let me know.

Thanks,
    Last edited by SteveEJ; 07-07-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added information
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Can't swear to this as I'm still waiting for my Ver 3 license. You are on the right path to get the vector lines as you illustrated using outline. Each dotted line would then become a vector and you can assign a V Bit (60 or 90 degree) and save the design. Since all are vector lines you should be able to size the whole thing to what you want.
    Capt, what I want is the v-bit to carve out the area BETWEEN the dotted lines, to make a carving that if colored in black would look like the graphic at the left.

Dick,
    Are you asking for a Pocket Carve with a straight bit? VCarve Pro can generate these types of tool paths for a straight bit but Designer doesn't yet have that capability to my knowledge. I wish it did!

You have a DXF file of that design I can see if I can generate the tool paths for you in VCarve. PM me if you would like.

Thanks
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Is it possible to import a black-and-white image as a pattern, outline the pattern, then apply v-carve?

Attachment 70434 Attachment 70435
    Something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shape.png   Shape2.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-07-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Something like this?

Wow, I wasn't getting the possibilities of this vector grouping in 3.0 yet until I saw that, I must go search a random internet pattern and try that. If it works then it opens some amazing possibilities.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
    OK.. Call me stupid but I have a question..

After a vector group is made and bit selection, etc is finished.. How do you go back to the vector group window to change things if you don't like the actual appearance? Is there a way to change a 'Vector Group' back to a normal path?

Thanks,
    Just right-click on the vector group header (from your Carving List is easiest) and select the Make Vector Group again...this allows you to make edits as often as you wish.

You can simply drag any vectors you want, out of the group if you want them to become "normal" vectors again. Don't forget to re-select the vector group/make vector group to update the remaining (if any) vectors you had already made into v-carves.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-07-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Something like this?
    Yes, the first one, exactly. Edit: Actually, I was looking to do the second, but the first looks cool as well.
    Last edited by DickB; 07-07-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    Wow, I wasn't getting the possibilities of this vector grouping in 3.0 yet until I saw that, I must go search a random internet pattern and try that. If it works then it opens some amazing possibilities.

dave
    Yes, agreed!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast