Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Designer 3.0 and Vector Grouping feature

Default Designer 3.0 and Vector Grouping feature

So this "sounds" like what I've been waiting for but I am hoping that there will be some videos possibly posted over the next few weeks addressing exactly how it works and doesn't work... Reading the new 3.0 manual that Connie posted, it sounds like the vector files have be drawn in a very strictly formatted way in order for the importing to work. This just makes me a bit curious as to exactly what this means and what I need to do with existing vector art which has worked fine for font/centerline importing up to this point.

Maybe the videos can address what types of issues with vector drawings would cause designer to not allow the vector grouping option to work.

I am also gathering that the DXF importing feature has to be license for all of this to come together, right?

I'm sure all of this is going to be addressed so forgive me... i've been holding my breath for a few years on this feature so I am gasping a bit at the moment
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

You can use drawing tools or, if you have DXF Importer, you can import a DXF file.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I think it has to be a closed path.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    I think it has to be a closed path.
    And if I heard it all correctly the paths should not touch or cross.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I copy/pasted this from the Senior Members section so that all can read...

It works like every other CNC V-carve task. You draw closed vector shapes making sure none of the outlines overlap another (i.e., no vector line shapes can touch another).

You can draw your designs within Designer, or draw them in another program such as CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator or the free InkScape drawing program. If drawn using another program, then the drawing has to be saved/exported as DXF format.

Once that is done, you can import the drawing into Designer with the DXF Importer add-on software. This add-on has proven invaluable to me, long before the V-carve capabilities were available! Free vector patterns, logos, drawings are already available for free from a number of online sources. One of my favorite sources is http://vectorlady.com/ tons of vectors totally free and no restrictions on their use...either for personal or commercial. Remember though, you MUST convert the vectors to DXF (can do that with InkScape or the other drawing programs mentioned previously) and you MUST own the DXF Importer to be able to put them to use in your Designer software.

So, YES. You can import then carve V-carve designs with the new version 3. A feature many of us have had on the "wish list" for quite some time and it is here now!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Here's some pics of a test V-carve I did...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot-from-designer3.png   vcarve_1b.png   vcarve_1a.png  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael, that is a nice example and looks like it came out great! I'm very excited about this new feature set...even if it means I'll need to plunk down about $500 in software upgrades... ouch.

The part that made me wonder a bit is the non-overlapping of vector lines. SO, no paths can intersect anywhere in a vector drawing then? To use an example of something I'm wondering how you would deal with, what if you drew a vector image of a face and included some lines that formed eye lashes. You may very well have some of those paths that intersect to have to proper look to the eyelash. Would you need to use a command in the vector program that transforms those overlapping paths into a solid, closed path? Something like the UNION command in INKSCAPE? I hope I am using proper terminology on this but I think you will understand what I'm asking based on thinking about drawing eyelashes.
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Yes, you can merge overlapping shapes to end up with a solid closed shape in InkScape or other drawing programs. In the CarveWright 2D Drawing tools, you can draw overlapping shapes, then just use the Line Trim Tool to merge the shapes into a single, closed vector shape.

For V-carving, no lines or shapes overlap or touch. Your design can certainly include open vectors that you could assign a bit manually to, but those cannot be part of the make vector group intended for V-carving.

Tip: you generally want to make the closed shapes and gaps in between them (not the actual shape SIZE but the distance between the lines of a shape or gap), no wider than the diameter of the bit being used (the CarveWright 60 or 90 degree v-bits, in this case). That is not a 'hard-and-fast' rule, but keep in mind that if a shape area exceeds the bit diameter (i.e., distance between the vectors), there will be an uncarved area or 'island' in the center of the shape (similar to when doing large centerline lettering). These uncarved islands can actually be a decorative detail enhancement to the overall design, so it's something to keep in mind when doing your V-carve drawings/layouts.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-01-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Are we going to get some video examples of the new features?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Working on all that...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast