Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Lithophanes!!

That idea sounds awesome! I tried figuring out the picture of hardware listed. The only puck lights I found were corded and click type, I bought a tubular led light hoping to make that work since I couldn't wrap my head around the click type and wanted wireless. Tube light looked terrible, not bright enough I'm going to return it and go for your lighting option. Do you have any pics or a simple drawing maybe on the set up you explained? I have a really bad tendency to be over analytical.
    Paul
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Hi Paul,

Here's a couple pics I hope will be helpful. (This lighting system is corded. I did not want to fuss with disassembly to change batteries ad infinitum.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lighting_1.png   lighting_2.png  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Steve,

Here is a link to the forum where my friend Angie (zeeway) came up with this modification. I am SUPER pleased with the performance!! (along with Floyd's DC Insert).

I cut the parts on the ShopBot because the circles were 24" diameter. You could easily do that with a jig saw and/or jig on your table saw or bandsaw. There are grooves inset within the circles to accommodate the round baffle (weather stripping goes in these grooves to seal the unit). A regular router could do the grooves.
    Michael, I use that same DC, with Floyd's insert - but I haven't modified the DC at all. Following the link and reading the other forum, I see good info on how to do the mod, but nothing on WHY. Is there a specific benefit to removing the bags and altering the DC?
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

I did it because my understanding is the Thein Baffle (just an arced slot in the base inside the circular chamber) is very efficient in separating larger particles from the fine dust particles. It appears to be so. It creates a "tornado" similar to a variety of other DC add-ons you can purchase online (they often look like funnels). Also, the large capacity debris collector (30 gal trash can) is nice. So far, I'm impressed - it appears that the overall efficiency is improved over the "stock" configuration. This is based partly on what I have been told by Angie and 'comparison conversations' with others who use it as-is.

I, unfortunately, never used the Harbor Freight DC as "stock", so I have no personal comparison to share whether the modification really is a "huge" or just a "minor" improvement.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

So... making sure I understand the benefit/improvement... it separates the larger and finer dust particles more readily. Assuming I am using an ultrafine bag to filter out all particles, why would I care if the particles are separated?

I can definitely see the benefits of a larger collector, for some. For me, I haven't even come close to filling the original bag once, so not an issue for me yet. And as to overall efficiency, do you feel it improves how well it removes dust at the working end?
    - Ken
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Without a separator, my understanding is the fine filter bag will need emptying and cleaning more frequently. Perhaps that's a minor benefit. I decided I needed a DC primarily because I plan on carving more Corian, PVC and various plastic sign materials. These materials create larger/heavier debris than wood does and are difficult for some DC setups to "lift" those types of heavier particles. It is especially important to clear out plastic particles because they can find their way into the gears/belts and cause axis stalls. Also, plastic debris won't "squish" like wood does when being fed through the pressure rollers. Sharp plastic particles (from hard surface material like Corian) can become embedded in the rubber rollers and you can never get them out. So a DC unit of some kind is almost a requirement when carving plastics.

I initially wasn't so concerned about fine dust (although I SHOULD have been!). I simply wanted the most efficient way to clear away the 'big stuff' and when I saw and read about Angie's Harbor Freight DC modification, I thought I would give it a go. Not so surprisingly, I now find I have the best of both worlds...the heavier plastic is carried away efficiently and into the garbage bin, as well as the fine dust pulled into the micron bag (which is still pretty clean - I guess that baffle is allowing most of the fine stuff to fall into the bin, too).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Thanks! I have the DC and Floyd's (older) insert, and have carved two lithos in corian and one in a poly cutting board, and it seemed more than adequate to the job in stock configuration. So I might think about it in the future, but it doesn't seem a crucial upgrade for me.
    - Ken

I think you'll be just fine, too. Floyd's DC hood is known for working very well. The Harbor Freight modification is a fairly major departure from the norm, and you really have to be "in the mood" to do something like that. (Took me a few months to finally get the gumption to do it.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I had a trash can particle separator in line with my DC, but had to remove it. It cut the sucking power way down. I am pulling from 2 machines.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I had a trash can particle separator in line with my DC, but had to remove it. It cut the sucking power way down. I am pulling from 2 machines.Clint
    I seem to recall you are using the same Harbor Freight unit? Man, this thing I have here is MORE than powerful! Will suck your fingers right off if you get your hand in the way. Perhaps the modification does indeed create a lot more "ooomph" over the stock configuration. Wish I had assembled and used the HB unit "before mod"...that way I would know for sure.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast