Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Lithophanes!!

Michael,
    I have carved 2" PVC with "my" Rotary Jig on several occasions, but never to make a litho. It does carve well. I just cut a piece of wood to snugly plug the end, and center drilled it.

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Hi Ed,

The wood plug will work great and that's what I initially thought I would use. However, while browsing the plumbing department, I noticed the very handy-dandy drain caps for the 3" and 2" pipes, so I bought those. I thought I would need to secure the drain caps at each pipe end with screws or something, but the friction fit is so tight, there was no need.

I did securely hot-glue a block of wood inside the one drain cap at the screw-end of the jig. This was so it could accept the jig's center screw and one or two of the additional screws for that end. The 3" drain caps at Home Depot have a 7/32" round hole dead-center in the drain cap, so you don't have to draw a centered criss-cross to drill a hole yourself. The hole is the perfect size for the Rotary Jig screw-end and cone-end! (The drain caps from Lowes are a different manufacturer and don't have a round hole...it's a square instead. I used one of those for the finished topper of the pipe as a sort of vent and allow ambient light to "seep" through the top.)

The drain caps used for mounting to the jig are reusable indefinitely, which is nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails materials-labeled.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-01-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added a materials photo
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael T,
    Your rotary litho came out great. You mentioned dust collection being required and I remembered reading about you trying a new design to utilize a harbor freight dust collector. How did that work for you? I thought the idea worth trying but thought I would check with you before I looked up the thread and tried it.
    Thanks!
    Steve

Michael, I have been trying to find the 3" drain caps with the 7/32" round hole you found at HD and it seems they don't have them here. Can you by chance tell us the brand name on these (Oatey, etc) so I might find them on the net or maybe a plumbing supply around here? Thank you for opening up new ways to use our machines.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Geomoo1 View Post
    Michael, I have been trying to find the 3" drain caps with the 7/32" round hole you found at HD and it seems they don't have them here. Can you by chance tell us the brand name on these (Oatey, etc) so I might find them on the net or maybe a plumbing supply around here? Thank you for opening up new ways to use our machines.
    Hi George,

Mine is stamped "Sioux Chief Manuf."
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Michael T,
    Your rotary litho came out great. You mentioned dust collection being required and I remembered reading about you trying a new design to utilize a harbor freight dust collector. How did that work for you? I thought the idea worth trying but thought I would check with you before I looked up the thread and tried it.
    Thanks!
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

Here is a link to the forum where my friend Angie (zeeway) came up with this modification. I am SUPER pleased with the performance!! (along with Floyd's DC Insert).

I cut the parts on the ShopBot because the circles were 24" diameter. You could easily do that with a jig saw and/or jig on your table saw or bandsaw. There are grooves inset within the circles to accommodate the round baffle (weather stripping goes in these grooves to seal the unit). A regular router could do the grooves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parts_1-and-2_assembly.jpg   Parts_3-and-4_assembly.jpg   impeller-cover-re-mounted.jpg   collector-and-impeller.jpg  

Modified_Harbor_Freight_DC.jpg   Ringneck_Blues_DC_Insert.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael,

What Link?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Michael,

What Link?
    Oops...sorry...had a 7pm meeting to go to. Was in a rush and failed to paste the link. Here it is now:

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18931
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by Geomoo1 View Post
    I just bought all of em the had at the lake worth store you might try another HD.
    Or go on their web site and search and find a store that has them in stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.27.00 PM.png   Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.25.41 PM.png  
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by blhutchens View Post
    I just bought all of em the had at the lake worth store you might try another HD.
    Or go on their web site and search and find a store that has them in stock
    Thanks blhutchens,
    I checked online and they did have some of them at a store less than a mile from my house. I will be picking them up tomorrow. I don't know why I couldn't find them the first time I looked there.
    George

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast