Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Lithophanes!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Steve,

Here is a link to the forum where my friend Angie (zeeway) came up with this modification. I am SUPER pleased with the performance!! (along with Floyd's DC Insert).

I cut the parts on the ShopBot because the circles were 24" diameter. You could easily do that with a jig saw and/or jig on your table saw or bandsaw. There are grooves inset within the circles to accommodate the round baffle (weather stripping goes in these grooves to seal the unit). A regular router could do the grooves.
    Michael,

I really like your design better than the one that I built. I have one question: How do you lift the unit to empty the trash can?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Michael,I really like your design better than the one that I built. I have one question: How do you lift the unit to empty the trash can?
    Ha! I was worried about that when I built it...it came out heavier than what I thought. However, it turns out I am still strong enough to lift that baby onto the top of the can. Glad it's a 30 gal can, as I don't want to have to lift it off/on too often. I am thinking of installing a clear tall plexiglass "window" or maybe a door (Angie did something like that) so I can see when it needs emptying instead of guessing.

I have not emptied it yet and don't know how much debris is in there, at the moment. All I know is that it sucks up everything.Angie installed a few large eye hooks on the top disc for the purpose of attaching some type of rope or chain lift mechanism for his. Another thought...I could make a small door opening near the bottom to vacuum the stuff out with one of my Shop Vacs, instead of lifting off the assembly.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-03-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael, I know I said I would upload my photos shortly there after - I took a short hiatus. Here's the finished photo of the rotary litho you helped me complete. I ended up using the Lowe's end cap modified to hold the puck light in the base, couldn't find the touch sensitivity lights so opted for the regular plug ins. I used the simple $.70 cap from lowe's for the top super glued on - unfortunately didn't take any finished photos but the idea is there. I didn't like how much light passed through the top or the fact that it still looked and felt like pvc so I roughed it up and used some Alabaster stone finish paint to give it a textured look. If I can get some finished photos I'll upload them, paint took a while to dry but was well worth the effect. I just wanted to say thank you again for the input - I have a few other ideas in store floating around to do with the rotary lithos, if/when I get them done I'll be sure to let you know when I post them.
    Paul
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4212.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	71987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4213.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	71988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4242.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	71989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4243.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	71990
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Paul, that looks awesome! To clarify, it looks like you masked off the litho, but not the text, when you painted. Is the text still as bright/visible? Does the litho section still look like carved PVC?
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Paul,

Thank you for showing us the photos! The litho looks fantastic. Great idea to use that Alabaster stone finish paint.

I'm looking forward to seeing your other ideas, too!

Thanks again.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by karossii View Post
    Paul, that looks awesome! To clarify, it looks like you masked off the litho, but not the text, when you painted. Is the text still as bright/visible? Does the litho section still look like carved PVC?
    That's correct I didn't tape off the letters when I painted the litho. I made a point of not hitting that area too hard but the finish closely resembled the rough finish left after carving the litho area, the letters still showed through fine when I finished. The textured finish idea came after the carving, I'm thinking of sanding and painting the pvc prior to carving next time around to see if it works out better - a little weary on effect on the bit, we'll see though. Thanks for the input and once I get a photo from the recipients I'll edit the post and add it in.
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Im using the ring neck with a harbor freight dust remover. It works good. Here is my first rotary lithophane. I've been doing lithophanes for the last four years. Settings are .17, with a rise of 200.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141002_200039a.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	72043
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141002_200039.jpg  

That turned out exceptionally well.
    How are you mounting it and/or adding light. Here in Oregon I can't come up all the parts suggested by Michael. I just might have to carve a base and top.

Tatay44
    Well done.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

I really like the painting idea.

dave

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast