Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Lithophanes!!

Default Rotary Lithophanes!!

Visit the following thread for pics of a way to create cool lithophanes with your CarveWright Rotary Jig! A very unique product to $ell, indeed!

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...048#post231048
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Visit the following thread for pics of a way to create cool lithophanes with your CarveWright Rotary Jig! A very unique product to $ell, indeed!

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...048#post231048
    Michael, Wished that I could have seen your presentation . Very cool! It does bring up a question. PVC melts very easy, is there a limit to the depth that you can carve and what carve quality should be used?

Quote Originally Posted by tierman View Post
    Michael, Wished that I could have seen your presentation . Very cool! It does bring up a question. PVC melts very easy, is there a limit to the depth that you can carve and what carve quality should be used?
    Thank you. I wish you could have attended the presentation as well.

I initially had concerns about the PVC pipe, too. I wondered whether it would melt and ball up around the bit, cause stall errors, etc. But, tried it anyway! I'm pleased to report it carves perfectly without any problems whatsoever! The depth I did on this sample was only 0.170" and I'm confident you could go a little deeper, but I doubt that would be necessary. In fact, I think you could go shallower in many cases.

Other notable items:

• I used the standard 1/16" Carving Bit. It was not necessary to use a long-reach bit because this is such a shallow carve.

• I used Floyd's DC hood during the project run...I had zero problems with stray plastic debris at all. In fact, there were only 3 little curls of plastic left on the traction belt after the project had completed (It took approx. 2 hours on BEST)

• I believe dust collection to be essential for carving lithos whether flat or rotary

After removing from the machine, there might be some plastic barely holding onto the pipe by tiny threads. I first tried brushing with a soft wire brush, but that is no good! The metal brushes tend to leave gray smudges on the plastic. So I set off to Wally-World to find a stiff nylon toothbrush. I spotted a Denture Brush and turned out it works great to brush off the litho after carving! See photo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brush-with-stiff-denture-brush.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-30-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added more info and a photo
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Thank you Michael, I like the additional options this opens!

Michael

Where/how did you get the picture of the Mona Lisa for carving?
    Steve

Thank you profusely! You have given us many good Ideas over the years, but I think this is at the top.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Thanks! I believe the photo came from Wikipedia. There was a retouched photo that got rid of all the cracked paint that is obvious in the original painting (due to natural aging). I opted to use the retouched version because it looked better to me as a litho.

You could probably find and carve all manner of fine art lithos and would be a lot of fun. However, it could be the best market is doing wedding photos, newborn photos, 50th Anniversary, graduations and family photos.

Idea: Create an "array" of tubular lithos of slightly varying lengths for a Family Litho with Dad, Mom and the kids. I am thinking a slot cut in a wooden base with holes for each pipe to slide into. The base might house a Led strip or even a tube light of some kind to light up all the pipes.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael

I have been thinking about carving PVC ever since I got the Rotary Jig. What size PVC did you use and thickness.

Thanks
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    Michael

I have been thinking about carving PVC ever since I got the Rotary Jig. What size PVC did you use and thickness.

Thanks
    Hi Leo,

I used Standard 3" PVC Pipe (0.25" wall thickness) from Lowes or Home Depot. Remember that 3" pipe is the INSIDE diameter...the actual OUTSIDE diameter is 3.5" and that's the diameter dimension you use for the project setup and input at the machine when performing the project run.

I initially made the mistake of buying 4" pipe (which was 4.5" outside diameter). Of course, that is 0.25" too big to fit into the machine. I "told on myself" during my conference presentation. Got a good laugh from the audience...seems I was the only one in the room that did not know that PVC pipe size is always the INSIDE diameter. So, you can use 3" pipe or smaller. (I also bought a bunch of 2" pipe for some other projects I have in mind for the rotary.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Thanks Mike. I did not know about the inside diameter either. Oh well if that is your first mistake this year your doing great
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast