Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Lithophanes!!

Tatay44,
    That really did turn out Saweet !!!
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Tatay44,

That looks great! Excellent contrast and the photo looks really nice and clear. I'm so glad you are having fun making the rotary lithos!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I use the 3in drain cover with a small piece of hard wood screwed down on to the rotary jig. Adding light is just using an accent light base with a 40 watt LED. The accent light base is 3.25 so you will have to lathe the bottom of your lithophane to fit snug. I did make a small fitted piece to go under it so it cant fall in.

I know this is an older thread but a few weeks ago I came across this thread. I had not yet bought the Rotary jig but this thread made me make up my mind and get one.Today I gave it ago with my first Litho Rotary carve using 3" PVC and I am Happy with the results, Very Happy. The only problem I see with the carve is the picture looks off as far as format. You know when you take a movie that was shot in widescreen and watch it in a standard format. The people look thin and taller then they should. That is the way the litho came out. MY brothers eyes look squinted as well as his smile. I was wondering with anything carved round do you need to pull the picture in designer to make it wider then normal so it looks normal when carved on the rotary jig? If so about how much does one need to make the picture wider so it looks normal. I hope I am explaining it correctly so you know what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy,

Photos may or may not distort noticeably when carving in the round. You can use the on-screen preview of the result to see if there is any objectionable distortion or not (the right side of the split screen). If you notice distortion, then you can easily adjust your photo dimension (via the left screen by squashing or pulling it horizontally or vertically) until the rotary preview looks good to you.

If you can, attach your mpc to this thread and we can take a look. If the file size is too large to post here, email it to me at carvebuddy (at) cs (dot) com
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-21-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by sunmiztres View Post
    I know this is an older thread but a few weeks ago I came across this thread. I had not yet bought the Rotary jig but this thread made me make up my mind and get one.Today I gave it ago with my first Litho Rotary carve using 3" PVC and I am Happy with the results, Very Happy. The only problem I see with the carve is the picture looks off as far as format. You know when you take a movie that was shot in widescreen and watch it in a standard format. The people look thin and taller then they should. That is the way the litho came out. MY brothers eyes look squinted as well as his smile. I was wondering with anything carved round do you need to pull the picture in designer to make it wider then normal so it looks normal when carved on the rotary jig? If so about how much does one need to make the picture wider so it looks normal. I hope I am explaining it correctly so you know what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe it is a illusion thing. A picture viewed at a side angle would look better if it was stretched. Maybe a little stretch would also help for these curved pictures.

Is that what you mean or do you think there was a scaling problem with the software? A dowel diameter mismatch?

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Howdy,

Photos may or may not distort noticeably when carving in the round. You can use the on-screen preview of the result to see if there is any objectionable distortion or not (the right side of the split screen). If you notice distortion, then you can easily adjust your photo dimension (via the left screen by squashing or pulling it horizontally or vertically) until the rotary preview looks good to you.

If you can, attach your mpc to this thread and we can take a look. If the file size is too large to post here, email it to me at carvebuddy (at) cs (dot) com
    I have carved the same picture on wood and it came out fine. I then carved it on the 3" PVC and his eyes and mouth look squinted when carved but not in the preview. I have include the MPC. Let me know what you think. Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files

Can we see a picture of the litho?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Can we see a picture of the litho?
    I just turned off my lights so I could get a good picture for you and it does seem to be better with it being night time and no lights on. I also put the puck light on top of the Litho instead of the bottom and the eyes look better. I have included the original picture so you can compare the eyes and mouth. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my brother in 88.BMP   IMG_5402.JPG  

I do not think it is distorted. I think you just did not use bit optimization best.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast