View Poll Results: Now that I've had the Rotary Jig for a while I think:

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Best enhancement ever for the Carvewright, I've forgotten how to put flat boards in.

1 7.69%
  • A worthwhile addition, really enhances what you can do.

8 61.54%
  • After the initial excitement I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

1 7.69%
  • Never could get the darn thing to work, stay away.

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: polling those who have had the rotary jig for a while

Default polling those who have had the rotary jig for a while

I am still interested in getting a rotary jig and have noticed that after the initial excitement there hasn't been much discussion on it so I was wondering if those who have had it for a while would like to weigh in on it. Has it measured up to you expectations and would you buy it again?

A) Best enhancement ever for the Carvewright, I've forgotten how to put flat boards in.

B) A worthwhile addition, really enhances what you can do.

C) After the initial excitement I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

D) Never could get the darn thing to work, stay away.

thanks,
    dave

Are you coming to the Conference next week? You will get an earful and eyeful of fantastic and inspiring rotary projects (and a whole lot more!!).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

It is true I have not used mine in awhile but I have plans to. One of my sons has modeled his old Corolla Sprinter (so he can drive it in video games!). Look how it will carve using the rotary. We will have to make a front and rear separately, but look at how easy the main body will be to carve.

I too thought we would have seen more rotary stuff than we have. The poll results will be interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corolla.PNG  

I wpuld love to come to the conference, Michael, but I think since coming to the conference and buying the jig cost about the same I will probably opt for the jig.

I have found so many additional things my Carvewright can now do. Keep in mind I have had the baker jig and was using it.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    It is true I have not used mine in awhile but I have plans to. One of my sons has modeled his old Corolla Sprinter (so he can drive it in video games!). Look how it will carve using the rotary. We will have to make a front and rear separately, but look at how easy the main body will be to carve.

I too thought we would have seen more rotary stuff than we have. The poll results will be interesting.

I have carved a few things.
    I have been real busy with other work. I have limited my carvings to what I can carve with the standard bit after breaking both a 1/16 long and 1/8 long bit. I haven't wanted to spend the money on them since I never completed a deep carve with either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo copy.JPG   photo.JPG  

I have only carved one test carve - ball and claw lower chair leg. The software is amazing. The fun is figuring our how to do what you want to do. For the ball and claw (imported STL file)I used, the ball wasn't so to pretty good, not long enough and not really ball shaped - so, I moved the claw up a little to make room and extruded a new ball to over-write the original. Worked slick a snot in designer, but haven't carved it yet. The first one took 5:12 to carve. But that is what I mean about figuring out how to do stuff. There are still flat stuff puzzles. I finally figured out how to put a carved out region or window created with a wrap in a shaped or extruded area. AskBud and I played with this a while back and I finally decided to do a 2 pass carve, but now I can do it in one pass - as can you if you use one of my new projects - the Princes or Queen Box. This software, rotary, 3D, etc. offers never ending challenges.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

i think maybe that is why there aren't that many posts. Everyone is still playing with the software getting over the learning curve etc…
    I had to do a couple of mods on my jig.
    I put a thin washer between the large sprocket and the keypad side plate and had to countersink the screw holes in the sprocket a little deeper to keep the screws from dragging

Brent

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone care to share some of the new things that you have come up with? Anyone have a "this is the one thing that makes it all worthwhile" yet? I expected one of the first things to happen would be someone would come up with a full chess set and gotten it into the pattern store, but I hadn't seen that yet.

dave

I'm on the edge of ordering the jig myself. I'd feel more comfortable seeing more posts but what I have seen looks pretty good. I'm usually one to wait until the bugs get worked out and then jump in but maybe I won't wait this time. It's complicated by the fact that I also have to get the 2.0 upgrade, 3d tools and the stl importer.....probably waiting for the next sale.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast