Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I take this on?

Nice job on tutorial... and yes, I see a potential for filling in the shoes left behind by Bud! You have an easy way about explaining what your doing. I noticed you turned off grid snapping when you started copying and pasting but wouldn't that have helped you out to have actually left it on? Just wondering as I think that is what I would have done but maybe you had a reason to select getting rid of it.. Nice job!

John
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    Nice job on tutorial... and yes, I see a potential for filling in the shoes left behind by Bud! You have an easy way about explaining what your doing. I noticed you turned off grid snapping when you started copying and pasting but wouldn't that have helped you out to have actually left it on? Just wondering as I think that is what I would have done but maybe you had a reason to select getting rid of it.. Nice job!

John
    I did it both ways before I made the video. It would have been easier to join the two vector lines with the grid on but, the lines are difficult to see. Especially in the video.
    Steve

That's perfect Steve. Thanks for the video even I can follow that. Since I never made a straight line pattern from scratch it's very helpful.
    I met with the gentleman and his scale is 1/4". So the project would be 2" wide 1/2 thick and 6' long each "jogs" are 1/4" cut at a depth of 3/16"
    I have some sections of rollers like they use when unloading a larger truck so I'm thinking of making in feed and out feed extensions and then maybe a sled to hold the mahogany board.
    He asked for either mahogany or poplar. I think I'm going for the mahogany, I did some carving in poplar and it turned out very fuzzy, hard to hold detail.
    First I need to find a little time at the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfoot View Post
    That's perfect Steve. Thanks for the video even I can follow that. Since I never made a straight line pattern from scratch it's very helpful.
    I met with the gentleman and his scale is 1/4". So the project would be 2" wide 1/2 thick and 6' long each "jogs" are 1/4" cut at a depth of 3/16"
    I have some sections of rollers like they use when unloading a larger truck so I'm thinking of making in feed and out feed extensions and then maybe a sled to hold the mahogany board.
    He asked for either mahogany or poplar. I think I'm going for the mahogany, I did some carving in poplar and it turned out very fuzzy, hard to hold detail.
    First I need to find a little time at the computer.
    Just set the grid size to .25 instead of .35. Everything else should be the same. Also, as Ton80 mentioned, you can leave the grid on to join the two drawings.
    Steve

If you could just route a slot instead of carving out all that wood it would be so much faster. Try different style bits. Maybe the customer would be happy with something like that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default carve

Well I've finally gotte some time to work on the Mayan pattern (I've been working on a Hope chest for my niece's wedding) and I can get the pattern layed out but the gentleman that wants this requested that it not just have the pattern carved on the lines but also have the region above it carved to a 3/16 depth. I kind of show what I mean on that original drawing. it's the shaded area. I can't seem to select that region to carve.

Did I just draw it out the wrong way or isn't it possible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140608_1247336361.jpg  

If you just take my mpc, remove the bit and make it a carve region, I think you get what you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 07-14-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Aztek door trim.mpcThe gentleman that asked me to make this door trim has now decided that he does want it again. So i'm back at this.
    The other night I laid out the pattern and then mirrored it so that I could get both pieces out of the same board. The right side of the door frame and the left side. When I reopened the project tonight I get a message that says I have duplicate vertices. I 'm afraid I don't understand the warning. the locations given are: 10.8,3.38 and 10.8,2. Also I can't make it a carve region, when I assign a bit it follows the pattern. And there is a diagonal line that carves out on the left side but doesn't show up unless the bit is assigned. It's probably from when I was making the pattern but without it showing prior to bit assignment I don't see how to delete it.
    I' appreciate any help I could get on this I tried to do it by myself but I'm stumped.

The duplicate vertices is for having two or more vectors at the same place. Zoom in and go to the locations given, first number is horizontal location and second is vertical location.

Looking at your mpc now for your other issue.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Those stray cut lines are caused by the duplicate vertices. (Actually only one vertex since it is mirrored.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast