Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should I take this on?

Use the inset at 0.063 (1/16") and the 1/8" bit will stay inside the line (must be closed outline). See the outline in that last mpc I posted.

One could make a guide template to keep the hand router inside the lines.

Not an easy undertaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfoot View Post
    He was specific that he wanted the outside dimension 2" wide and the repeating pattern in it 1 1/2" wide with a 1/4 scale to the "jogs".
    This is different than we have been doing, isn't it?

yes and no. The original picture I posted of the drawing he gave his son to give to me had an incorrect scale. After meeting directly with him he gave me the dimensions that 2" wide overall with a 1 1/2 wide pattern x 72 3/4 overall length. So there is a 1/4" boarder around the pattern. That's what I've been working on. I thought I corrected the measurements somewhere in this thread but maybe I didn't. Sorry.

Yea I remember now about using the offset but it won't allow me to apply the offset.

What do you think of this. Not too long to cut.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is amazing! I had given up on carving it out, but I was looking at it wrong.
    Looking at the way you did it I was going about it wrong, instead of carving out the pattern and then trying to remove the rest I should have worked the pattern progressively smaller until all the necessary material was carved out and then used copy and paste. Is that about right? How did you keep track of your carve passes? By making the snap interval 1/16?
    I'm hoping to get to the conference this year so if you're there I'd like to buy you a drink, or what ever. Thank you very much and especially thanks for teaching me something. The forum is an incredible resource, I appreciate all the help that everyone has given me with some of the projects I've made. But I especially appreciate learning things from you guys and gals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfoot View Post
    That is amazing! I had given up on carving it out, but I was looking at it wrong.
    Looking at the way you did it I was going about it wrong, instead of carving out the pattern and then trying to remove the rest I should have worked the pattern progressively smaller until all the necessary material was carved out and then used copy and paste. Is that about right? How did you keep track of your carve passes? By making the snap interval 1/16?
    I'm hoping to get to the conference this year so if you're there I'd like to buy you a drink, or what ever. Thank you very much and especially thanks for teaching me something. The forum is an incredible resource, I appreciate all the help that everyone has given me with some of the projects I've made. But I especially appreciate learning things from you guys and gals.
    I also played around with cutting them out with the 3/16" cutting bit. See the mpc. (sorry to others but it is ver 3) I used the snap grid at 1/16" (remember to type 1/16 and not 0.063) for the 1/8" cutting bit and I used the snap grid at 3/32" for the 3/16" cutting bit. It is much faster to cut this pattern out than to carve it out. With the cutting bits you also get straight sides.

You should cut out some small samples to see how it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aztef Door trim sections.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 03-08-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks again. I haven't been able to get out to the shop yet but I'm hoping to be able to in one of the next couple of nights. I'll let you know how it works out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234