Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I take this on?

Default Should I take this on?

A co-workers approached me asking if I would be interested in doing a project for his Dad. I'm meeting him tonight to get specifics but what he wants is a door surround made out of mahogany in a Mayan pattern, it would go all the way around the door.
    So first of all it's going to be a lot longer than anything I've ever done before.
    Second I'm not sure how to lay out the pattern (all 90 degree angles) some of it repeating.
    He's going to go over specific measurements when I meet him tonight (he 's talking tenths of an inch?) and he wants it made out of 1/2 thick stock.

My question is, and I have the original designer software (not version 2) I have no idea how to even start. Is this something that my Carvewrite can do, is this something my software can do? I want to do it right or not at all, I feel that's the only way.

This is the picture that he emailed me.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140608_1247336361.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfoot View Post
    A co-workers approached me asking if I would be interested in doing a project for his Dad. I'm meeting him tonight to get specifics but what he wants is a door surround made out of mahogany in a Mayan pattern, it would go all the way around the door.
    So first of all it's going to be a lot longer than anything I've ever done before.
    Second I'm not sure how to lay out the pattern (all 90 degree angles) some of it repeating.
    He's going to go over specific measurements when I meet him tonight (he 's talking tenths of an inch?) and he wants it made out of 1/2 thick stock.

My question is, and I have the original designer software (not version 2) I have no idea how to even start. Is this something that my Carvewrite can do, is this something my software can do? I want to do it right or not at all, I feel that's the only way.

This is the picture that he emailed me.
    Heck yes you should do it. The best part of this machine is challenging it and yourself. Then ask yourself, how many other people are doing this? Might just find your niche. And learn something along the way.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfoot View Post
    My question is, and I have the original designer software (not version 2) I have no idea how to even start. Is this something that my Carvewrite can do, is this something my software can do?
    Yes you can create something like that in Designer #1, and the machine can do it.
    I would be concerned with half-inch material, a little thicker would work better.
    (avoid possible error messages, assure good roller pressure, and less flex on supports)

I'm having difficulty with the scale of the drawing, it appears that there are four
    repetitions of the design in six feet, or about 10" X 72". Getting half-inch material that
    big would be difficult in my area of the country.

Be sure to use adequate support on the ends of the board while carving.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Yea I don't get his scale either and I think he'll go over that with me tonight.
    Maybe I can talk him into 3/4 thick stock OR MAYBE he'll pay for the 3/4 and I can plane it down to 1/2 after the carve. Wasteful but if he's set on the 1/2" he'll go for it.
    But you feel I can design that pattern with designer 1?
    If I take this on I may be asking for some pointers.

That is well within the capabilities of the machine and software. I've done a lot of half inch material and never had a problem. With such long pieces the extra stiffness of 3/4 would probably be a benefit.

Interesting pattern. Easy to draw (If the scale made sense). It would be a long carve.

Here, you can show it in Designer. (You may want to invert things. Hard to tell what he wants.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 06-17-2014 at 01:08 PM.

If you do it as a application to a door watch out for a Cross Grain Situation... Where say a 11 foot long board with a pattern is inlayed into a door with vertical and horizontal grain. It could be a epic fail when the grains expand and contract...

I hate beng a nay sayer but it would be better to be carved into the whole completed door.... Be aware of the Liability of having to replace the door when it cracks.... When money is involved friends come 2nd.... You could be thrown under the bus....

Case in point... In San Diego I put 2 lights on my Stucco Wall next to the Garage Door. I did a nice job... My neighbor did his neighbor's the same... but he did not seal the fixture to stucco with RTV and rain got inside and burned up the lights.... He was in COURT over it.... Doing a favor for a few bucks.... Lucky the house did not burn down...

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-17-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I created this line or vector drawing using Designer 1.187. You can easily copy and paste the basic drawing to add more sections as needed. Watch the video in the next post to see how I did it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-17-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    Steve

This is a link to a short video on how to create the southwest or art deco

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0j...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-17-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    Steve

Steve,
    Thanks for the tutorial very informative, and an "Ask Bud" replacement is born.
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast